Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 v ZZR ...

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

For 13", 6" & 8" wheels ....

My car's in for new paint this week and at the same time will get new tyres. I've been using CR500s but rather than just going for the same again I'm thinking about the ZZS an an alternative, but recent comments about the need to run much higher pressures has made me question whether it'd be better to stay with CR500s ... they're lighter, give good mileage, same price, and suit the Caterham well. Any comments from those who've gone from CR500s to ZZSs? Any negatives? Anyone swapped back?

Stu.

ZZS is a fantastic tyre. Go for it! I’m toying with the idea of ZZR for dry track days, but folk hint that they are only really grippy at the start of their life, and that they take quite a number of laps to get heat into them. 

So far I’m undecided so stick to ZZS. Brilliant. Progressive, still lots of fun on a track, also great in wet and a good all round tyre. Deffo step up from CR500. 

How much lighter are the CR500's to the ZZS? If it's very noticeable, I would stick with the CR500's Stu, or maybe even consider CR's on the front (for the steering feel), and ZZS on the rear? I've been out public road blatting these past two weekends, but just swapped back  on to my ACB10's for the Blyton sprint weekend, and it always amazes me how light these tyres are, compared to the A048's I use on the road, and how the steering feels so much lighter!