Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Instrument lights

virden

There are LEDs that will fit the original holders. The fitting is probably 286 T5 but I don't think that we've ever tied down part numbers. Previous discussions.

There's a recommended supplier somewhere... I'll try and remember. And I've just seen that Classic Car LEDs, who are recommended for other lamps, now have some.

Can you add a photo of one of the lamps or ask the supplier directly and tell us?

You might like to replace them all so that they match.

Jonathan

PS: The warning lights can also be replaced with LEDs, but the ignition warning light may need to pass enough current to excite the alternator.

Instrument gauge lights and speedo are BA9S T4W, I used 5 x SMD ( 5 x LED chips) ones and they fit the gauge and the existing holders, this is for a 1999 vintage car.

The 286 T5 fitting is a wedge type bulb and not suitable for my 1999 car, the BA9S has the bayonet fitting. You can simply reach behind the gauge, find the bulb bolder and withdraw while the gauge is in-situ to check which you have.

Some of my bulbs have a green rubber cover on them, whist some don't.  One of the things Id like to do but haven't got round to doing is making all the dash bulbs the same.  Don't throw away any covers you have you might want to reuse them. 

I understand the desire to fit LED bulbs with their longer life but one should not overlook the fact that incandescent bulbs give off some useful heat that helps to keep gauges free from misting up.  So don't be in too much of a hurry to fit LED's in your instruments if they are prone to misting up.  Just a thought.

Ezzer

Thanks all, most useful, now it is simply a case of either lying upside down in the footwell with restricted breathing,  legs dangling over the roll bar and the challenge of trying to get out again, or sitting normally whilst staring at my reflection in the mirror as  cross eyed and swearing with wrists bent double I attempt to overcome intuition and screw in fiddly little bulbs in what appears to be the wrong direction! Ah the joys of owning a Seven!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...