Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Sale: my Caterham 21

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

With some reluctance I am offering my Caterham 21 for sale.  It's partly about space, it's partly because I don't use it as much as I feel it deserves, it's partly about needing a new experience in something else, it's partly about the feeling that two Caterhams isn't the best combination of fleet.

The bare details:

• I have owned it since June 2006
  • 1996 car, it was one of the two press demonstrators as the GRP bodied production cars were launched.
  • 1.8 VHPD K-series engine: not the original 1.6 SS.  189bhp
  • Emerald ECU mapped by Dave Walker at Emerald
  • Apollo tank fitted

Lots more to say and a substantial file of details available, including some original Caterham literature, most of which features this car.

• I have just had a Radtec Extreme fitted. 
  • I am collecting refitted seats from Oxted Trimming later this month. 
  • I am taking the car to Option1 to have a starcrack in the bonnet taken out and the unit repainted to remove the inevitable paint chips (that will be a bill of just over £1,000).
  • When the painting is done, I am having a set of GT trims for the headlamps painted too - so that the new owner may have the polycarbonate fairing or the Elise look (and probably more light on the road)

Negotiations start at £18,000.

Please send me a message or e-mail (see https://www.lotus7.club/about-us/team) if you are seriously interested.   Lots to say, lots of little details such as the electric boot release, the power outlets to tell potential purchasers.

Stephen

• Area Representative

If I could store it in the dry for nothing, it would be tempting.  I think they are likely to gain value.

I'm not sure I need a trophy, I want cars which I use - preferably a lot.

And the Seven is the one with which I identify more strongly. 

Ian, Jonathan:- Club history http://lowflying.lotus7.club/2006/2006_03_02_21.pdf

Martin:- the VHPD does go like soft, naturally produced fertilizer off a shovel; it likes being driven hard.  I'm not convinced I thrash it hard enough.  And, yes, I remember.  I have done a little 21 match-making. 

Oliver:- I'll be keeping the Crossflow!  *bowtie* 

Dave:- No straight replacement - I have the Crossflow  *biggrin*   (for all the extra power of the VHPD, with it's free-reving acceleration, the nature of the older engine does something special for me) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Images here: I'm driving (and had no idea that I was being papped!)

https://www.autogespot.co.uk/caterham-21/2013/07/04

and I do have the dummy air vents which fit below the number plate.  I took them out as I was trying to find a suitable additional driving light (not necessarily a daylight running light probably more to improve the forward visibility at night).

re the reg 

I worked with a very large gent who insisted on having a company car long after we'd all opted out , it was pain for the HR team to manage . When his new qashqai turned up the reg was BL08 EEY , apparently it "just turned up like that" . He wasn't happy 

Re the lights just done the same on the 7 swapped to new LED driving lights for the same reason , I'll get some pic tomorrow and post 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

This morning, as I was working on the headlamps, a neighbour (next street) said hello and said he was really pleased to bump into me. He has given me the original Autocar review of the 21 (the 1994 bare aluminium bodied car) and the 1996 review of my very car.

*cool*