Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing rubber edge strip

blueyedbiker

Afternoon Jonathan, I'd be quite happy for the edge strip to be permanent as the wings are black and it looks pretty neat but another problem could be that the silicone has adhered very nicely to the fibreglass so whatever glue I use will have to stick to that as well.  Not great weather to be in the garage either and fortunately I haven't booked the IVA so no immediate deadlines.

Re your earlier reply I'll try to upload a picture of the indicator repeater mould.

John.

Built my car in 2010 and used silicon. All the rubber edges are still in place. Could be that your surfaces and silicon are too cold. You should be able to use enough so that it the excess squeezes out then can be neatly shape with a clean finger. If you get it wrong, let the silicon set, then it will peal off.

Good excuse to warm the garage.

Peter

I fixed mine with spots of Cyanoacrylate glue (basically Superglue) but I got it from Hafixs Industrial Products (www.hafixs.co.uk). It comes in a 20g, handy dispenser, is really effective and has a long, usable shelf life if kept in a fridge.   

Avoiding butt joining the 2 ends of each strip on any curvature helps. Because of the wing thickness, mine have remained firmly in place without any sealer or adhesive using the standard kit IVA rubber.  I was going to remove the strips after the IVA but changed my mind.