Click here if you are having website access problems ×

On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid is........

Paul Mason

Using nail varnish remover to clean overspray off the inside of a 7's bonnet?

Yesterday, having finished with the autosol on the exhaust, and being very pleased indeed with the results, thought I'd give the inside of the bonnet a quick go over and see what that looked like.

In short, patch I've done looks great, so will continue and do the whole thing. Problem is, there is quite a lot of overspray on the inside, which is a pig to remove to then get at and clean the aluminium.

To speed the process up, was going to use some nail varnish remover to clean the surface of all overspray etc. Not being particularly bright when it comes to metrology, is nail varnish remover on bare aluminium unwise/downright stupid??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elie, not looking to paint, merely wishing to remove the existing overspray on the inside and then polish the bare aluminum

Jonathan, not 100%, just the stuff SWMBO gets from the supermarket? Guessing modern (and cheap) stuff, and wanting just to remove any paint overspray to make the polishing easier?

That would be a roger GJT *rofl*

Car is up on jack stands, can't have any fun for the next few weeks, so I shall use the time polishing and fettling and daft stuff like that - have already done the exhaust!

All mechanicals in order so need something to help me remain sane during the winter period..

Does this mean Paul is officially one of the 'polishers' and is only allowed to drive his car when there is no precipitation and the heat and humidity are within approved tolerances? :-)

Give the nail varnish remover a go but keep well away from the good paint. If this doesn't work, I'd try some very fine wet&dry (1500/2000) used wet, in a small patch and see if it polishes back OK. 

Ian

*rofl*

Ian, whilst my current post may strongly indicate a "polisher" nature.......what I would say in my defense is that the car was put up on stands on Sunday, having done 1k miles since 20th October, in weather generally considered inclement. Its not pretty underneath (yet.....though cleaning is purely maintaining condition and protecting rather than beautifying).

Whilst the car has been, and will be kept clean during my ownership, its primary purpose is to illicit an inane (or stupid, delete as appropriate) grin upon my face. I am merely looking for a winter activity to help me endure the cold and general festivity of the period! Not that I'm a grump or anythin

Yes, GJT, futile it is, though curiously rewarding (you wouldn't think it to look at the daily which gets cleaned when its serviced). And no, not doing as been banished........however, it has been suggested that "using an expensive oak dining table to clean my stopping f***ing bonnet" wasn't a good idea?? I did try to argue to the contrary, stating I had covered the table with one of the kids blankets to protect it.....however that didn't seem to resolve the anger on display.....

I doubt that just wiping with any thinner will loosen the paint, or it must be questionable quality. first soak a rag and leave it on the overspray for 1/2h or so if this doesn't work use paint stripper and on delicate places like the louvres try something like Belgom ali polisher and polish the overspray off. any sanding you do will make it harder to get a bright surface BTW glue is much better if you want a snif ;-))

May save the glue to deeper into the holiday period........

In terms of the overspray Elie, not a full coat of paint, more that dusty finish from overspray....my question was more around whether thinners, nail poilish remover etc would damage the bare aluminium.

Will pop a pic on to show you what I mean

...my question was more around whether thinners, nail poilish remover etc would damage the bare aluminium.

Probably not "damage" but may affect the *appearance. Usual precautions and preliminary test piece.

Jonathan

* Because of the weird surface chemistry of aluminium.

PS: Nothing to add to the wisdom above concerning solvents.

Not particularly worried about toxicity of acetone for low volume use with a few sensible precautions. Don't know about environmental effects.

But it can dissolve or wreck the finish of plastics and similar, and if it isn't needed I'd recommend aliphatics and alcohols which are much less likely to do that.

Jonathan

PS: Different commercial brake and clutch cleaners have very different compositions.

Brake cleaner is made of chlorinated solvents, principally/ traditionally tetrachloroethylene, so really not nice for your health both through inhalation and dermal contact, as well as releasing chlorinated substances to atmosphere. It may be a carcinogen.  Very good at degreasing through.  Through our typical use pattern (ie infrequently, used sparingly in non industrial quantities) its not going to kill you (probably, pending further research *read* ), but worth treating with respect and being careful were you can through use of nitrile gloves, ventilation etc, not getting it on your skin etc.

Lots here 

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=263&tid=48 

TomB: Yes. Risks as you identify. I wouldn't use them unless essential.

Brake cleaner is made of chlorinated solvents...

As above: they vary and some contain ketones. And aliphatics. And methyl acetate...

I tend to start with isopropyl then move up the scale with acetone as a last resort.

Which is why that's a smart approach.

Jonathan

PS: Ever wondered what "penetrating fluid" is made of? I'd love to see a controlled trial comparing a leading branded product, petrol and Coca-Cola...

May do a few tests in the name of science and learning.....could do a little on the sides under the lip so not too noticeable

Small area of nail polisher remover

Small area of white spriit

Small area of clay

That's the way to do it! How *blinded could you set up that trial?

Jonathan

* Traditional methanol jokes are available at this point.