Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Draining Apollo Tank

Andrew Willcox

Hi,

Just drained hot oil from sump and filter - but I can't shift the bung in the bottom of the Apollo tank.

Purchased the recommended Halfords 32mm spanner but still can't get the bung to turn with Allen Key.

Worried about damaging the tank itself and wondering if it is worth persisting.

How much oil is likely to be in bottom of the Apollo Tank with the system fully drained - feels pretty empty?

Andrew

Do you have a one-way valve fitted in the air-bleed hose between Apollo and cam cover? If not, it's very likely that all the Apollo oil has drained into the sump already.  If you do have a one-way valve, simply disconnect it while draining.

Did/can you measure how much oil has drained out so far?

A useful trick is to detach the hose from the top of the Apollo and blow gently into the tank.  This will push out any oil in there.

And you're right to be worried about damaging the Apollo.  The tank ali is thin and won't resist too much torque on the drain plug.

JV

Rather than try to undo the plug at the base you could undo the two main hoses plus the air bleed hose and remove the tank. From personal experience I have found this to be more manageable than trying to remove the bung at the base.

Incidentally I personally would not worry about the small amount of oil left in the base of the tank. I generally remove the tank when doing other jobs such as cam belts etc.

Thanks guys,

So I managed to manoeuvre  the tank onto its side just removing the breather pipe and got a further quantity of oil out.  Also plenty of oil retained in the sump cleared with sump removal.

Just the foam to cut and sump to replace now... Will enjoy dipping the clean oil when back together.

So I avoided reaching for an impact wrench on this occasion and didn't remove the bung.  Just got all the oil out I could by tipping the Apollo tank on its side.

Gasket modified, foam replaced and refilled - oil looks really clean.

Tappets still noisy when cold though...

Just need some slightly warmer weather over Christmas to get back on the road.