Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R vs S suspension

mossy7

So.. it seems I may be able to return to the fold with plans afoot for another 7. I do have a question for the combined experience of BC. I am told that the R suspension has firmer springs and dampers than the S set up, but in reality, with road use only, what is the best option? My one ride in a Supersport suspended car left me thinking it was rather hard and uncomfortable. I also felt my Roadsport (S? Suspension) lacked a little on turn in. SWMBO has a back injury so ultimately comfort is important.

Any sage words of advice? 

Cheers

Andy

Andy, relatively recent returnee to the fold also (with a car that is almost the double of your last car). Drove a few when purchasing and also have memories of my last Bilstein suspended car. I’ve bought a car which has Nitron suspension and Eibach springs (not sure which type of either I’m afraid) but can confirm a, to me at least, significant improvement vs standard, seemingly much more compliant as well as far less skittish. Seem to get the benefit of handling without the traditional hard ride (not sure how they manage that). May be worth trying as you search

Andy,

I'm new to ownership and must confess to only having driven S's and Roadsport's prior to purchasing my R spec car. If I'm honest with my limited experience so far (800 miles) I suspect an S may have suited my road focused needs more. It's very early days for me and my opinion may change once I've got to grips with it.

Andy

Andy,

Its difficult for me to be totally sure but I suspect I found it easier to drive the S quicker and more confidently from the word go. Admittedly, the car wasn't mine (if you know what I mean) and I'm yet to drive the same section of road in my car. Also it was a 310 rather than my 360, so their are differences there too. 

Don't get me wrong but the R version is a fine car but it is more focused. I was surprised how different they are....but then surely that's what CC intended!

Clearly I'd need more time behind the wheel to fully evaluate but I would suggest for touring and long drives then go with the S. For track days and short mad blats the R could be preferable.

Really the only way to tell is a back to back drive. Sorry I can't be more conclusive.

Andy

A chat with someone from a Caterham dealer with a tech manual in front of them gave rise to the following:

there is no difference in the dampers or springs between the S or R versions. The R however has wide track, adjustable ride height collars and a rear anti roll bar. Both cars have 150/170'lb front springs' ( couldn't work out why that variation was.) and progressive rear springs. Apparently therefore there should be no difference in ride quality. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I believe I remain confused. 

On another note in a different telephone conversation, ( there have been many recently) there appears to be a rumour that the Caterham 6 speed box is going to be dropped in favour of the Mazda 5 speed. Reliability issues were forwarded as a possible explanation. You heard it here first people. 

• Leadership Team

If the £800 option is for the other components and not the shocks, it possibly doesn't matter whether you spec the R option from new, the components are available from Caterham for not a lot more than the option price ....

Widetrack kit £460

Adjustable platforms £202 

Rear anti roll bar kit £186

I'm surprised there's no difference between the dampers/springs as my recollection is quite a different ride. I guess the other differences, rim/tyre combination, wide track and roll bar will also change the way a car feels.

I could easily be wrong but will drive the same roads again in my car to see how it feels. I may even see if a back to back comparison is possible once the weather improves.

• 4 years later...

Apologies for the thread resurrection, thought it would be better than starting a new one.

I've been speaking to Robert at Caterham Silverstone about my new car spec, I asked him the difference between the road, sport and track suspension packs, he said the below:

"The main difference in suspension is stiffness. While the road and sport can be narrow or wide track, the track suspension is wide track only. All of them have adjustable platforms apart from the road ones. The standard sport ones that come on the R spec are more than enough."

He mentioned that the road and sport are the same stiffness while the track is 30% stiffer.

If I go for the R pack I get the sports suspension as standard, on the S pack its an £800 option. I had assumed the sport suspension was wide track.

My car will be mainly road use with occasional track day, obviously the R pack has other advantages such as the lightened flywheel, everything else I can add to my S pack configuration for an equivalent price.

So do I save the £800 for now and go for S pack and get Nick Potter to add adjustable platforms when I am ready for track days? That was I can also add a Tracsport LSD when I want to rather than being stuck with the Titan?

Personally I would go S pack (which includes the windscreen and weather gear) and have the adjustable platforms fitted afterwards along with a suspension setup. My last car had narrow track road suspension with adjustable platforms which I really liked. 

Adjustable platforms mean that you can set ride height, rake and corner weights - all of which impact the on-road driving experience from day 1 (although Caterham want you to put 1000 miles on the car before they'll corner weight it).

So it depends on how long you're prepared to drive the car with a non-optimal road setup ... 

MattB

• Leadership Team

Tim

If you send me the original image (WhatsApp or text message OK?) I'll upload it to your post as a higher-resolution image.

That way, we might all be able to make some sense of it!

James
07714 693192

I have a S which I added adjustable collars and a rear anti roll bar before getting the car properly set up and corner weighted. The handling and ride was a night and day difference after the set up. The car breaths with the road and eats corners feeling very secure even in the wet. On track it's very good too.

my understanding is that dampers and spring rates are the same between R&S. An S car properly set up will be great on road and a few track days a year. 

I have lowered floors and needed to raise the heights  a little to stop catching the seat bolts on speed humps and the like. The adjustable suspension allowed this as part of the set up... so we'll worth it all round. 

• Leadership Team

I've just edited Tim's post (#14) to add a link to a higher resolution pdf of the chart (also linked 2015 Suspension Details.pdf) supplied by Caterham Cars.

I note that the chart is dated 2014; it would maybe be interesting to ask if it exists in updated form, including later model releases such as 620S and 620R etc.  Maybe one for Tim to follow up using his earlier contact?

James

Thanks all, spoke to Nick Potter who is local to me, and he stressed its better to get the adjustable platforms to get the car properly set up as mentioned above, so if I go for S pack will get them separately after getting the car, obviously they are included in the sport suspension on the R pack along with wide track etc which would be nice to avoid the cycle wings fouling the pods on full lock etc but not critical.