Click here if you are having website access problems ×

caterham 6 speed box gear not engaging properly into 2nd gear.

kenneth.mula

Hello

I am having trouble with my 6 speed gearbox, and cant find the fault.

I am having occasional trouble engaging the 2nd gear (downshift).Sometimes the gear do not engage properly, and jumps out of gear (I let go of the stick before I release the clutch). When I look into the box, all looks good, and I can´t provoke the fault. All gears go in as they should. 

It seems that the problem occurs only when I am driving, and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Could It be the selector locking plate sticking? Do anybody know how wide the slot in the cover should be? Mine is about 6.1mm and the plate is 6mm. 

I have changed the gear selector saddle bush. Could it be the  gear selector that is somewhat bent?

How much force should I use when engaging the gears? I guess that the short shift stick needs a little more force to get the gears in.

Should I try to change the gearstick?

Best Regards 

Kenneth

Does the issue improve or get worse as the box warms up with use, when I owned a car with a 6 speed 2nd would initially be stiff to engage but after a few miles became just as snicketty and easy to engage as all the other gears, very little force required to engage, I seem to remember being able to use just one finger to drop the stick back into 2nd, 4th & 6th.

Hello again

I live in Norway, so the trip to Phil is a little to far away :) But I have thought about sending the box over to Phil. I have had the box in to a guy that´s good with gearboxes, and he did run the gearbox on the bench. He could not find any fault, and I am hoping somebody have had a similar problem.

It feel like something is sticking so that the gear won´t go in all the way. It slips out of gear when I release the clutch. How hard should the stick feel when I change from gear? The gearlever looks like the one that Caterham sells, but it is somewhat turned against me (LHD).

Could it bee the gearchanging rod, forks or something?

Kenneth

• 4 weeks later...

Unless Im missing something in the photo can only see a chipped gear tooth, this would not cause the problems your having, unless the chip is wedge in the hub - unlikely it most likely to be on the magnet.

If your looking to ship the box for repair send it to Steve @ SP Components, he has re engineered some of the 6 speed parts with race proven results.