Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering Column Bushes

AdamQ

For the records so to speak ...

A search of the archives suggested that the steering column bushes were Caterham-specific parts.  I'm pleased to say, however, that they are not.  They are the same as are used for the following:

Triumph TR4-6

Triumph Spitfire to 1977

Herald/GT6/Vitesse

Lotus Elan

Part No. 209423

FWIW ...

Adam

Thanks Adam

Searching for that number also points to an uprated bush by Revington which apparently is a better fit and doesn't wear out so fast ...... Don't have any experience with it but it's one to add to the list - 209423UP

On mine the top one fell out. Bottom one took a bit of shifting with some 3/4" (ish) wood dowel and a big hammer. Put bottom one in first and tapped home using a socket. Top one pushed in ok. Both need a bit of lube - I use brake cleaner but you need to be quick as it evaporates fast (good for bicycle handlebar grips too).

I have the racetech quick release column so it can be slotted in once both bushes are in. If you have the fixed column with steering lock then expect you need to put first bush in, then column and then second bush. Refer to the assembly guide as per JKs suggestion.

Regards

Ian

I don't use either a steering lock or an ignition key so, as part of my rebuild and drive to add lightness, I've removed most of the steering lock tube, only keeping the bit that houses the lower bush (the upper one being housed in the lower dashboard hoop).  

FWIW I use washing-up liquid as a lubricant ...

Adam

I used soapy water as lube when I did my Triumph Herald circa 1965 *bowtie* .  The bushes have a couple of nibs that locate in corresponding holes in the outer column so you need to get them aligned when pushing them in.  I've cut a slight chamfer on the nibs in the past to get them in.  Also, make sure the bushes' split nylon inner linings don't fall out or get trapped when you push the inner column through.

Paul

Your better off taking out the split nylon liner before you start - they are easy enough to pop back in. I've had a liners fall out of the bush and slide down the steering tube allowing movement in the column - so Ive but a dab of superglue / epoxy on the liner to help secure it to the bush. Once set, Ive carefully put the column back in with lube. Also, a little glue helps stop knocking the liner down the tube with the steering column!