Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing fuel hose from tank to filter

PhilR

Hi,

Just moved my car and notices a dark patch on the floor near the rear wheel. I turned off the engine to investigate. It was fuel!

Jacked up the rear and supported it with axle stands. Took the wheel off but I could not see anything obvious, just a strong smell of fuel. So turned the ignition back on to start the fuel pump.

I could see fuel coming from a pin hole half way along the fuel line.

Car: 2002 1.6 rover K Ex academy

At first I thought I would need to empty the fuel tank but I would like to avoid that (it is full).

I have undone the filter end, can I just remove the other end of the hose? It does look very tight in there but I hope with the fuel pump off, no fuel will come from the open end at the tank.

Is there anything I should watch out for? I will be replacing the fuel filter while I am at it.

Fuel hose Tank to Filter – WFH10004

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/hoses/751-fuel-hose-pumpfilter-to-fuel-rail.html

The current hose is marked J30R6 WP 12 BAR 5/16”

This thread: https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/low-pressure-fuel-hose-size-k-series

refers to hose standards having changes because of the increased ethanol content in fuel.

Can I assume a new hose supplied by Caterham will be the new standard J30R9? I will ask before ordering.

Thanks

Phil

Don't buy from CC. Buy 8mm bore fuel hose (not the stuff with a black cotton cover) from hose supplier or car spares place for peanuts. Cut crimp bands carefully off existing hose ends and pull old hose off fitting. Fit new hose and use fuel hose screw clamps ... Not jubilee clips.

1.5m of hose is enough to replace all four flexible hoses on a k-series. You may be shocked at the state of the originals when you remove them and straighten them. On the banjo bolt on the fuel pump there is a washer either side of the banjo under the bolt head. Don't lose them. I have done it with half a tank. No fuel loss.

Thanks for the information.

I can see benefits of using the fittings I have and attaching a higher grade of fuel hose.

It has been a bit of a learning curve with the fittings terminology. I now understand how the fuel pipe connects to the fuel tank. The bolt I can see is a Banjo bolt which is hollow and has a hole in the side. This passes through a Banjo hose tail fitting (with 2 washers) which is the ring on the end of the hose pipe and is also hollow. Based upon the design of this fitting, I think it is safe to assume I can disconnect the pipe without the fuel pouring out. It would be flowing now if that were the case.

I have found an ebay supplier for R9 fuel hose but they only stock ID 7.6mm OD 14.6mm. This difference seems minimal to me, but it does mean the little clamps need to fit up to 15 diameter. I have included links for information only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251175712377

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271076156058?var=570118059998

SM25T: Are these the hose and clamps you suggested?

Phil

I spent several hours and (won't mention) cost replacing the fuel pipe from the pump through the tunnel, with stainless steel tube, along with as many nasty rubber hose parts as possible, so now there is only a few short lengths of rubber pipe, probably less than 600 mm total joining the SS pipe. I even splashed out on a couple of Swagelock 90 deg elbows, just to be able to remove and refit two sections of tube around the engine. 

Nigel.

The planets aligned so I was able to fix my car.

Extra parts ordered were a fuel filter – KL-158 and a 20mm open grommet to protect the hose going through the aluminium bracket.

I used 50cm of fuel hose and two 13-15mm hose clips. Apart from not tightening the connections enough and being short on space reconnecting the hose to the fuel tank, it was relatively easy.

No fuel lost during the process, even with a full fuel tank.

As with most jobs on the Caterham, bulk buying means I always end up with spare parts.

1.5m 77mm SAEJ30R9 hose
8 x 13-15mm clips (nut and bolt)
18 x 20mm open grommets

I have all the parts required if 3 local owners want to tackle the job?

Thanks for all the advice.

Phil

• 7 months later...

I’ve ordered some correct spec 8mm hose and 13-15mm fuel hose  screw clamps as suggested. Am I correct to assume I will need to cut the crimp collars along their length and these are replaced with screw clamps when using the new hose and original fixings for the tank to filter hose? 

This thread has reminded me I need to do mine. Changed the hoses around the tank a year ago, now need to do from tank to filter, and engine. Can see the tank to filter will be straightforward. 

How long, roughly is the fuel hose from the filter to the engine? Need to decide if I buy more. 

Is it fairly straightforward to change if I get under the car?

Thanks

In the process of replacing the fuel hoses and petrol filter. Disconnected top and bottom fixings on the filter - do I need to remove the filter bracket to get the filter out or loosen the horizontal bolt? I have visions of the bracket bolts receding into the body work if I remove the nuts!!