Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Old Yokohama AO 48's

RogerB

I have just discovered the rear tyres on my car where manufactured in 2005. Some 4 years before the car was first registered. I have other issues with the dealer which is another story!

I now feel this could explain why the car is tail happy even in the dry & not just the 190 bhp on such a light weight car !

I have new Toyo proxes R888s on the front which are grippy in the dry.

I cant decide whether to buy a full set of road tyres (Cheaper) as I dont do track days or put some R888s on the rear. I like the strong side wall as this was like having a run flat when I lost pressure in a front, as I do not have a spare.

Thoughts please.

Roger.

old 48s are rubbish , I bought a 2nd hand set that looked like new but were quite old . They were rubbish , the worst bit was the unpredictable nature of the grip .   Dont mix them either , 48's and 888rs do not work together ! just by a new set it will transform your car.

• 4 weeks later...

Having been out of internet for a few weeks I have just driven home from NE Scotland with more tail happy moments. And now caught up with more posts. Thanks guys especially Madcat at Silverstone ! 

So that's it ill get the rears replaced with R888's to match the front. Silly question but I guess R888R's are out of the question for the rear when the front are R888's. Its just that they are £25 each cheaper on mytyres?

Roger.

I would go with the R888Rs on the back. Will be fine with the 888s on the front. When they wear out, get R888Rs for the front.

The really big difference will be comparing the new rubber against the old.

If you're out in the wet the 888's won't handle standing water quiet as well as R888Rs.