Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Self adhesive number plate

craigyb

• Area Representative

I have to admit in trying to fit my own but because of the curve on the nose cone it is a hell of a job to do , in the end I went to a graphic design company and they did it for me at not a great expense. 

They do look good, I did not have an issue with the friendly Mot station. 

Kingsley  

Got mine made up at following

http://www.dmb.uk.com

Came through in a couple of days post ordering, seemed pretty good qaulity, and they will size plate (length) to suit number of letters/digits with all letters/numbers being the required legal size.

Re legality, I've been running with my stuck on nose cone front plate for around a year and have not yet been questioned by Mr Plod - keep the solid plate in the boot (sorry officer it fell off) just in case

I've had a full size stick on plate for several years and no problem. Warmed it up with a hairdryer when putting it on so it had some stretch in it and it went on without any wrinkles. Mine might have come from Ireland too. I'm told that at speed I may experience reduced downforce without the original plate, but I'm too slow to confirm that...

If you are down in the Westcountry, there are several large cut price stores called Trago Mills, they have front and rear stick on plates as well as the numbers to go with them, all very reasonably priced too.

Otherwise you might try a caravan retailer, sometimes they will keep front plates as well as the rears.

The probablity of being stopped or prosecuted is clearly very low.

But it's also worth thinking about how you would feel if you were.

Re legality, I've been running with my stuck on nose cone front plate for around a year and have not yet been questioned by Mr Plod - keep the solid plate in the boot (sorry officer it fell off) just in case

I've never understood this tactic for running with no front plate, and even less so for stick on ID. If you were a police officer would you be more inclined to follow through with an enthusiast or with someone who's trying to be clever?

Jonathan

... and heading down the main straight at 130+ at castle coombe, whilst being a hairy experience, I can't say I noticed any lift.

:-) and that's what I'd have guessed.

But has anyone come up with a better nosecone that mounts the plate more neatly (and legally) and improves the aerodynamics?

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Tried with the adhesive plate but I gave up after two ham-fisted attempts.  Also realised that it looked pretty dire over the top of the yellow splaying of the stripe (traditional Yellow on BRG colour scheme).

Took a different direction and ordered, just received and now fitted a 3/4 show plate (probably illegal).  But it looks perfect.  Mounted on dual tab velcro (with the standard full-size version kept in the boot if ever stopped).

Quick service from 'pimp my plate', who are based in British Columbia on the other side of the world.  Ordered on the evening of 3rd, delivered first thing this morning.  Excellent quality, even with 'Caterham' along the lower edge.

Not what I thought I wanted, but actually what the car needed.

Neil