Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 303bhp The Toad

Steve Day

K7 7OAD – Caterham Seven – 2005 – £34,950.00 - Specification June 2017

Outstanding Caterham – fully specified, with breathtaking performance.

Beautifully presented in eye catching Porsche GT3 Green, ‘The Toad’ (K7 7OAD) is a special car.

Briefly: 303bhp 2400 Duratec on SBD Throttle Bodies / 6-speed Sadev sequential gearbox / Freestyle inboard suspension / Quantum Shocks / Wide track rear / Edwards Motorsport exhaust and manifold / DTA S100 Pro ECU.

This is a Series 3 car built and registered in 2005. It was thoroughly refurbished in 2010 – with a repainted, updated chassis and all new panels by Arch Motors – and then meticulously rebuilt.

Since I purchased the car in 2014 I have progressively updated it. Early in 2015 I replaced the 2 litre Duratec and MBE ecu with a 2400cc Duratec and DTA ecu and Playskool paddle shift and then, towards the end of the 2015 season, I replaced the Quaife sequential box with the Sadev version as it’s lighter, stronger (and quieter in use!).

The car has had a relatively easy life – prior to my purchase it was used only a few times and since then I have used it only for a handful of hillclimbs each season.

I had it on the Northampton Motorsport Rolling Road in September 2016 – it was showing 303 bhp at the flywheel with loads of torque. Dyno printout available to view.

It is currently awaiting conversion back to manual sequential shift and the fitment of a full size fuel tank (instead of the 8 litre ‘hillclimb’ tank currently fitted), so that it can be used as a flying road car or fierce trackday partner. Optionally, if the purchaser wishes to retain the steering wheel paddle shift / air operated option this can be arranged at additional cost.

Full Details

Porsche GT3 Green body work, black wings

Caterham SLR/R300 roll cage (MSA spec)

Fitted with carbon aeroscreen

MOMO detachable steering wheel with Playskool self-centering boss

Carbon Fibre mirrors, dash, tunnel cover

2005 chassis – long cockpit / DeDion axle

Fitted Ford 3.92 Diff plus Titan LSD

CSR drive shafts

CSR 13” 8-spoke anthracite Wheels (7” / 9 ½”)

Tyre Options: ZZR or Avon slicks to suit CSR wheels

CSR Wide track rear suspension

AP 4 pot brakes on front– standard rear discs

Freestyle Inboard Front suspension

Quantum single adjustable shock absorbers all round

Freestyle rear ARB

Freestyle rear diffuser

Carbon Fibre MOG Driver’s seat (lowered floor)

Fibreglass Caterham passenger seat

8 litre AH Fabrications fuel tank currently fitted (to be changed to full size Caterham tank).

Full Shroth Harnesses (in date)

Race Technology Dash 2 combined multi function tacho / rev counter with shift lights and repeater

Geartronics dash mounted LED Gear position indicator

Battery Cut-Off switch

Aircraft style starter switch – with rapid cut-off

Weather protection – none fitted – presumably it could be but I have never been concerned to do it.

Engine and Gearbox

Engine – BJ Racing Manchester

Cougar Engineering refresh and further headwork 2016

DTA Pro 100 engine management / loom – new 2016

Balanced lightened steel flywheel

Red Top 25 Battery – new 2016

New clutch – 2016

Starter – Brise – new 2016

Alternator – new 2015

All new plug leads 2015

New high capacity alloy radiator and hoses – new 2015

Pace dry sump, oil pump, oil cooling radiator, hoses and AH fabrications Dry Sump tank & catch tank: all new 2015

Edwards Motorsport Exhaust and Manifold - 4-2-1 with ‘BIG’ silencer – new 2015

6-speed Sadev sequential gearbox – manual shift option Extra Cost Option: Playskool Paddle shift fitted with onboard Playskool compressor and air reservoir.

K7 7OAD is available now and represents a great buy for an enthusiastic driver.

As always, the sum of the parts, build and maintenance is significantly greater than the asking price.

If you are seeking a head-turning, buttock-clenching monster that will take your breath away then look no further.

Price: £34,950.00

E: stevenday2011 at gmail dot com

M: zero seven 836 38 four four 73

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

I've seen the car and can vouch for Steve's comments about its condition.

Additionally, I've just been looking at a dyno plot for this car. It really does look impressive, with a reasonably flat torque curve considering the state of tune, so it looks very drivable.

In the real world its likely to offer better performance than a 620R as it has similar power and torque, but significantly less weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Richard

Yes, it is a mighty machine - the torque is astounding and that makes it really driveable.

I thought I would add that I have decided to leave the paddle shift kit on the car, including the onboard compressor. It's not an intrusive set up but really useful in that it negates the need for air bottles and that paraphernalia. It makes the car much more track day/road use friendly. I will include the Sadev manual shift items for conversion if required in the future.

I have a spare set of CXR wheels too that I will include for the purchaser to use - for track tyres or maybe wets if competing?

Cheers Steve 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve - what a monster!!!! I would take it straight away - in exchange for mine. :-)

Two things:

1. CSR wide track rear suspension - as I own CSR and you state somewhere else the rear is De Dion, I assume you are trying to say your car has a SV rear suspension in S3 (FreeStyle).

2. Why on Earth would you sell something like this?? It looks and sounds like - everything!! Beautiful.

Hi Doc

Indeed it is a monster... and beautiful too!

It is the CSR style rear set up - longer dedion and CSR driveshafts. It works very well.

Selling because another very specific opportunity has come up - and I'm selling the car I never thought I would actually sell... although I haven't actually sold it yet... and I could still change my mind!!

Cheers Steve