Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering wheel advice

DRH

I've found size does matter! A 260 Momo made the bump steer uncomfortable for my wrists so now have a 290 diameter one fitted. The 290 only works as I have a lowered floor which gives knee to wheel clearance (I'm 6'2"). Only had leather not suede and always on a quick release.

That said there are ways to remove bumpsteer, however, I prefer the extra leverage and finer input adjustments with the 290.

If you choose a 260 momo in leather I have a good used one available.

Ian

I have a fixed suede Momo - 260 mm I think.  The only point I'd make is that the suede is easier to grip if you're wearing fleece-type gloves ...

I've never gone for a quick-release because I wouldn't want to have to take it off every time I left the car and knowing my luck some blighter would pinch it ...!  (I'm not really that cynical ...!).  I can see the point about the Q-R making it that much easier to get in and out though.

Excuse the opportunism, but I have a Racetech Q-R boss and upper column for sale should anybody be interested ...

FWIW ...

Adam

I have a quick release and a Momo suede at t present and yes Adam the quick release has its good and bad points it would be nice not to have to carry it around.Maybe the leather wheel would be softer on the hands for road

use but for track it would definitely give more grip, one of each maybe the way to go.

I have had on both my cars Mono type 26 in 280mm, found 260 to small and 290 to big, new car has lowered floors now, with the hood up you really need  removable wheel, if you don't want to carry the wheel you could use a bike lock to attach it to the rollbar under the boot cover.

Suede much better feel than leather for IMO.

I used a Momo 12c (260mm with cut-outs) for years with full knowledge of insurance company until they changed their views. I much prefer a smaller wheel for use with the quick-rack and ended up with a 255mm D-shaped SPA wheel and the flat bottom does make getting in and out easier. The cross-section of the SPA one is round whereas the MOMO is oval IYSWIM so it is probably better for those with smaller hands. At £95 (ninety five) delivered it is substantially cheater than a MOMO.

But as has been said before it really comes down to personal preference.