Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DRE Shift Lights group buy - 2017

thompster

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 people paid - those orders will go out this week.  Same for any more orders paid for by weds at the latest - after that there will be a couple of weeks delay.  I'll send a PM to anyone that's not paid yet  shortly.

Cheers,

James

Fitted mine this afternoon .

Drilled a hole in the top of the scuttle and fitted a grommet ( Halfords ) .

Took the rev counter out and located some suitable wiring to connect to . 

There was a " spare " black and white signal connector conveniently placed ready to use *woohoo*

There was also a couple of individual connections with live and earth on them that i managed to piggy back on to without resorting to cutting into the main loom . Shown in the photo below .

1(1).jpg.7bad0a06b7a3da8b3a181acd6563d8d8.jpg

Spent a few minutes setting the unit to required settings and then .......

1.jpg.19b78eab9b90597364780fb8166c4fc1.jpg

Massive increase in performance , over 150mph in first gear and i didnt even need the steering wheel ..

Seriously , pretty easy fit , the hardest bit being finding the correct wires to connect into .

Hi Andy,

Jason at DRE is away for a few days but as you were on the list it's still ok, in fact encouraged.  Remaining orders will go out in about a week.

We committed to at least 25 and had 28 people at the end.  There's been one drop-out that I know of so I hope we've bought what we promised so please do go ahead and order.  Aside from anything it's a really neat unit and with our discount an absolute bargain.

Cheers, James,

Many thanks James, its a nice bit of kit.  Decided to hide my shift lights under the bonnet in the blower cavity.  The shift lights now illuminate the heater intake grill.  i was always a fan of Knight rider.  thanks once again. 

Finally figured it out how to upload photo's......

The DRE is velcro'd to the blowerbox.  I removed a piece of the seal so the unit doesn't distort the box.

IMG_1309.JPG.4267c671bf890ed50b596b31264259d3.JPG

With any additional reflective tape I got a pretty good reflection in the two nearest vents.

IMG_1322.JPG.0a6d4769b9ee249fce8cfd9d336c73d7.JPG

During the day its a little dim but with some temporary tin foil pver the blower motor I got a higher intensity which should be solve this.  

Now I know it works I will use a perminant solution by using  silver  self adhesive tape to lay on the blower motor and in and around the bonnet vent (underside) to channel more light to bonnet.  

IMG_1333.jpg.756ed640d630e13cb06040c3a3b10e40.jpg

It looks good during the day, but I'm sorry to say it looks awsome at night.

For track, dash mounting is definately better to catch the eye, however as I didn't want to drill my precious seven in such a visable position and I am not a track regular so I am happpy to have slightly less obvious shift lights.

Placing the DRE's in the blower box will also keep them below the 50'C max operating temperature.

Next job is to light up the main bonnet vents with red lights under heavy braking? Joking!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I know most of you will have already fitted your lovely new DRE units, but if not I did make a bracket for mine a couple of years ago and made a pattern which anyone else is welcome to use.

Pattern was made for an SV (RHD) but have since fabricated another for a mate with an S3 and it lined up horizontally just fine (given that the S3 is narrower, I wasn't sure if the slope in the scuttle behind the steering wheel would be the same but it's close enough for my metalworking skills!)

Much more effort than many will want to make I know, but if you have a hacksaw, a vice and are so inclined then good luck *thumb_up*

I made a pattern out of old cereal box before cutting and bending metal, may be worth doing the same to check my measurements will get your unit horizontal.

?cid=36336082378F19B8&id=36336082378F19BDREshiftlightbracket.jpg.52aa23d2d4f625b62c88376706732d1c.jpg

DREshiftlightPic1.jpg.175ff1a255d9106444201abe80bcf7a6.jpg

DREshiftlightPic2.jpg.20515f641275c12da581b68ab395f209.jpg