Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hearing effected

DRH

Hi Chaps

I noticed the last two days my hearing seemed a bit strange, I've heard of people having their ears syringed to improve hearing..

Suddenly realized its the car, researched the subject, what a twit I never thought that driving a 7 was going to make me deaf, hence the earplugs and headphones all makes sense now, I loved the noise so ear plugs or just go deaf are the only options, the 7 experience goes on and on.

Caterham need to add a health warning to new sales above and beyond the obvious ones he he

Hearing loss is no fun ....despite my best efforts, it's frequently isolating. Living in France, learning a new language is made far harder as are simple family discussions round the meal table. Very frustrating for Barbara also. Take it seriously before it gets too late.

I blame family genetics, the Rolling Stones, and the car, in that order.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Went out tonight with ear plugs, wooly hat and balaclava, engine didn't sound so good but ears felt more protected, I think it was the long run on the motorway the other day, it was very hot so took of the wooly hat, ears were fully exposed I think that did the damage, no side doors also creates quite a draft.

Now looking for an Aviator/Traper style hat with fur lined ear flaps plus the earplugs may do the trick.

• Area Representative

DRH. I am very deaf and have worn hearing aids for more years than I care to remember (30 plus years).

Get yourself a good pair of ear plugs. Yes you won't hear all the engine roar, tyre noise, wind and induction but it will save your hearing. I always have the side doors on and just wear a wooly hat (winter) or baseball hat in summer . I've tried the flying helmets and it makes little difference. But each to his own.

Piers

Your hearing is assaulted by the transmission on one side and if you own a Ford- engined car - the exhaust immediately to your right.

You can either get a generic earplug off the shelf or go to a Boots hearing Centre and get plugs which are tailor made for your ear canals.

I wrecked my hearing playing in rock bands but l also did a spell driving 7.5 tonne lorries which were deafening when sitting in the booming, cavernous cabs. I found the transmission squeal left my ears ringing for days. The other thing is that l arrived at my delivery destination feeling exhausted. I started to wear ear plugs and found the ringing reduced and l did not feel so tired when l had done a day's deliveries.

I have tinnitus and do not recommend it, so please do look into getting a decent set of earplugs!

What Piers and Blacken say: not an area for skimping.

Are commercial non-fitted plugs and protectors cheaper from tool shops than from Boots and similar in the same way as eye protection?

Club discount with ACS Hearing Protection. (3M offered something similar after I did some unrelated work with them and Geoff took it up but it was then pointed out that there was no saving over other outlets.)

Jonathan

Trying out two types of earplugs from Boots one is wax and the other silicone, the noise reduction is around 20 decibels, not sure how much a factor the wind buffeting is to hearing damage.

... not sure how much a factor the wind buffeting is to hearing damage.

That's complicated. Because accommodation to the wind probably hides the sound level. But once you've got decent hearing protection in place I'd suggest getting the buffetting down to comfortable levels without worrying further about the sound.

Jonathan

The Boots ones that l was referring to are not off the shelf.

You have to book an appointment with one of their audiology Hearing Centres (usually twinned with an optician) and they will test your hearing to see which frequency range has been damaged.

You can then elect to have earplugs custom made for you on a prescription. This consists of your ear canals being injected with silicone to get a perfect fit. They will then make you a set of ear plugs and you can choose the level of decibell reduction that will suit your needs.

*thumbs_up_thumb* for musician type earplugs, tailor made for my lug  'oles, I have a pair which attenuate the racket by a large amount, but don't completely isolate my hearing, thus I can hear a horn or siren, and some of the car "music", but alas, there is no remedy for the tinnitus.

Nigel.

I don't think there's any effective remedy for the tinnitus but there's lots of evidence in favour of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for reducing the impact on your life. Cochrane Review from 2010 and there are similar studies since: conclusions from the abstract in full:

"In six studies we found no evidence of a significant difference in the subjective loudness of tinnitus. However, we found a significant improvement in depression score (in six studies) and quality of life (decrease of global tinnitus severity) in another five studies, suggesting that CBT has a positive effect on the management of tinnitus."

Jonathan