Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powder Coating Dampers

AdamQ

My 1999 car is in need of substantial amounts of TLC, which includes a great deal of powder coating.  On the strength of that, rashly and naively possibly (though it seems to work), I've bought a DIY powder coating kit.

The next thing on the list for attention is a front damper.  The curing temperature for this kit is 180°C for ten minutes - that seems to me pretty close to the melting point of rubber (and probably not great for the oil inside the damper) - so my question is, are the dampers painted or are they powder coated prior to assembly or, given that it's only ten minutes, can I put some tin foil round the rubber bits and go for it ...?

Have people had damper units powder coated before without issue?

Any thoughts most welcome ...

Thanks,

Adam

I got Bilstein in Leicester to strip and rebuild a pair of dampers for me. Once stripped they gave me the casings so I could take them to a powder coater I have have used before. When I returned them to Bilstein they found that the power coating process had ruined the surface finish of the insides of the damper tubes ... and the adjustable platforms no longer fitted. The casings went in the bin.

Won't work Adam. You need to get the metal temperature to 180C for 10 minutes which, with the weight of the dampers, means considerably longer in the oven. The oil will expand and leak out and the seals will be ruined. Get them refurbed, replaced or use something like POR15. 

I dont think it should be done.

But not fir the sake of the oil inside necessarily.  Dampers do run very very hot.  even if the oil did expand it would be allowed for by the Nitrogen gas charge section which would compress.

I would be more concerned with the o rings and other seals and bushes.