Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wet footwells under the mats - any know issues I should be aware of?

chisel86

Hi

I was vacuuming out the inside of my car today, when I took the mats out of the footwells I found there was a lot of moistures between the mats and the floor, not enough to puddle but a lot more than just damp.

I couldn't notice any 'smell' from the fluid but there was definitely some oily residue/colour in the passenger side footwell but not in the drivers side.

Maybe it's just some water that got into the cabin last time I washed it (about 3 months ago before putting it away for the winter) and the mats have stopped it evaporating, but I was wondering if there are any known issues or possible fluid line damage I should be aware of or check?

Its a 2003 1.8 K-series roadsport if that makes any difference. 

Thanks

David

Have you still got some of the residue, and if you have can you test it for solubility in water to check it is oily and not merely mucky?

Has the car ever been treated with Waxoyl etc?

No visible leak from engine or gearbox, and levels not dropping?

I'd clean it and not worry too much unless it recurs.

Jonathan

As above.

Also along the join between the scuttle front vertical panel and the flat area in front of it.

I used masking tape along both sides of all joins, applied black sealant (clear goes a funny colour, black stays black and looks okay), smeared it in well, carefully pulled the tape off.

On my 2001 it also leaked in under the heater.  The footwell heater outlets didn't properly line up with the cutouts in the tops of the footwell, so despite careful application of new P-section draughtstrip, it still leaked.  I finally cured it by riveting new aluminium patches over the existing rectangular holes, using sealant to seal, reducing the opening so the draughtseal had something to seal against.  I also swaged the edges of the new smaller, circular opening upwards to assist.  The smaller opening also has the effect of directing more air out the cockpit vents.

I also ran sealant along every join in the aluminium panels in the footwells, even the ones already done by Caterham.

So now no leaks whe washing - even when pressure washing.

So for the last 12 or so years (took me couple of years to sort it), the only leak I now have is in rain, standing water, when water from the front wheels hits the rear wheel arch, bouncing forward and up and in the gap at the back corner of the sidescreen where it doesn't fit tight to the side of the car by your elbow - so I get wet elbow and thigh.   Only cure so far is a new sidescreen - they sit tight when new.

I chucked the carpets (via ebay) as I could never keep them flat and safe under the pedals - rubber mats are the way forward.

(and whats really annoying - I seem to be getting a warning from this webpage that the correct spelling of aluminium is incorrect . . .. grrrr)

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I know it was given a corrosion coating by the guy I bought it from last year but not sure what type.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on it and make sure add some sealant in the spring when I can get the car up on its axle stands!

Sounds like it may be a leaking heater if, as you say, the wetness on the passenger side is 'oily'. See if it tastes like antifreeze (i.e. horrible) - if so it will be the heater I'm afraid. It happened to me on both of my previous K series cars.....

The first time it happened to me it started with an occasional drip and very slowly and steadily got worse over the course of several months (though ISTR on the next car it came in a single deluge). Hopefully yours has just had a little weep and has now pulled itself together.. *smile* 

You don't have to taste it .... rub it between your fingers and smell it. Coolant is quite distinctive. It may be the hose end or debris under the hose end .... or, as I found at one time .... A little bit of flashing on the moulded plastic spigots of the pipes on the heater. Remove the hoses and check/clean up as required. If you don't have decent screw hose clamps. .. fit them. Easy enough to get at the heater matrix and remove it if required. Soon see if there is a leak from it. There was a post recently about a new source for this matrix. If it is the heater valve that is leaking ... It is from a TX2 taxi. ... cheap on line.