Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Are you using these tyres?

redlight

Thought of this thead over the last couple of days commuting in the seven in torrential rain - excellent tyres!

Under deliberate provocation they will let go, but offer surprising amounts of grip used relatively sensibly. 

No feeling of aquaplaning, no skipping about, feels fine under braking and nicely stable around polished tarmac corners and roundabouts with normal traffic.

I have recently fitted Toyo R888R's to my 1.4k and so far been very happy with them although i am comparing them to 13 year old ZV3's, have been told the R888R's last about 8000 miles but i suppose it depends a lot on how and where it's driven, as i do about 1000 miles a year i don't mind spending the money every 8 years or so *yes*

• 1 month later...

Hi Grumpy the 7th,

i have reposted this to help. I have had mine for a few months and have found them fine, I run them at 18psi.  I have a 175 Duratec Roadsport, I don't do competitions or drive at the limit. Comfy at speed on A road and Motorway. 

I think the only way to find out is to try them yourself. 

If you search Uniroyal rain expert in tech topics other comments come up. 

Best wishes

Roger Ashelford

Had my Uniroyal Rain Expert 3's for about 2 months.  They're fitted to 13 inch wheels (185/70 R13).  Haven't had a chance to try them in the wet yet, but generally good grip for general road use. When subjected to extreme braking/acceleration/steering etc they tend to lose traction a lot easier than my old AO21R's, so maybe not a performance tyre that I'd use on a track day?  They are still relatively new so maybe with a bit more running they'll improve?

Bob

Hi Redlight,

Thanks for your replies, Just wish the AO21's (had various sets over the last 15 years) were not condemned by the bureaucrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking around at Donnington there were only about 6 cars with the Rainexpert 3's and 2 with the Nanking NS2R's. Still LOADs of cars with AO21's (just wish I'd bought a couple of sets before the dissapeared, Many had the R888's which I feel might not be for me as "Upt Norf" in the Dales we get plenty of the cold and wet stuff.

The Uniroyals seemed to 'loose' a bit on the Donnington slalom on a car I know which was driven by a very competent driver. But never saw a Nanking tyred car on the tarmac so cant compare.

Just wish I'd got more rubber left on the 21's

Grumpy,

Got you paper slip on the windscreen at the weekend.

Rain Expert 3 (185/60 R14)

pros: cheap as chips (Camskill), soft/grippy as normal tyres go, non-directional (have spare)

cons: soft side walls (running higher than normal pressure at 22psi to see what difference if any that makes)

conclusion: happy, it's horses for courses - I don't want/need lots of grip given the type of use (relaxed road) and power available (std. 1.6 K)

Given the price and your posts, I'd be tempted to give them a go if i were you. I will be interested to see how they perform on a track day though. Anyone have any experience here?

Regards

Nick

Quick update on my tyres.  I previously purchased a set of Uniroyal Rain Expert 3s (185/70 R13) - initial comments in post #29 above.

As I have two sets of wheels, I've now also purchased a set of Toyo R888Rs (185/60 R14) in preparation for a couple of track days.  First blat out today and the difference to the Uniroyals is marked.  The R888Rs inspire a lot more confidence than the Uniroyals in all areas (braking, turning in, accelerating) - and I haven't yet pushed them to their limit as they're new and I'd like to 'run them in' before testing their limits.  Will be interested to see how they perform in the wet given the limited tread pattern.

One really interesting aspect is that the R888Rs (at 15kg/wheel) weigh a lot more than the Uniroyals  (11.5kg/wheel).  Even allowing for the difference in wheels size (both sets of wheels are standard Minators KN) that's still quite a difference - 14kg per set of 4.  Personally, I'm happy that the performance/weight advantages favour the R888Rs.  Just need to return the bathroom scales before the missus finds out what I've been using them for *whistle* 

Bob

PS - Edited as I've now driven in the wet on the R888Rs for a couple of days and am very impressed for what are essentially a semi-slick tyre.  No problems at all on damp road surfaces and even when driving through standing water, no major dramas - yes car floats a little, but that's to be expected with a light-weight car and standing water at speed.  Dare I say it ... as good as if not better than the Yokohama AO21Rs I had previously!  Highly recommended for anyone wanting a 14" tyre.

Bob,

I have the same types of tyre and found the R888r's a marked improvement aswel when I took them out last weekend in the dry.  I also had a bit of a track day last week at Donnington, I say it was a bit of a track day as it was wet then very wet.  It was hard to judge the tyres on the track as I had no comparison with the Uniroyals, however on the drive home the tyres behaved very well and I didn't have any lock up's or aqua planning.  I am certainly more confident about driving in the wet with them now.