Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Garage heating?

Kensboats7

If they are 1kW each and with electricity at 12p/kWhr, then every four hours of operation costs £1.

Assuming 8hrs a day operation it would add £180 to your quarterly bill.

i don't know what the construction of your garage is but I doubt it would make much difference to the average Winter temperature.

Not without a lot of heat loss - garage is sixteen metres from the house. However, I may look into an underfloor heating system just under the car. We have UFH in the house and it works really well, so just a small section might be good to keep the car nice and cosy, the oil thin and the battery warm. 

I'd look into insulation first - i sikaflexed some 1 inch kingspan onto the steel up and over doors and fibre glassed the roof of our garage which made a massive difference. Its an integral (to the house) garage which has its own radiator which actually makes the house warmer (rad next to internal door so heat bleed much less)

Ian

As Ian says, look at insulation and draught proof, otherwise it is like trying to keep the fridge cold with the door open!

once insulated I wouldn't have thought you need to maintain a temperature much above 5 deg c which shouldn't require much heat input, or dehum as suggested by Jonathon.

The thought was just to keep the temprature well above freezing for the car and the boats, although the boats have already been there for a number of years without problems. The car is under a cover already and there is good air circulation. The idea of a tube heater under the car is good though as I understand that they only use around 120 watts, and should then heat the air locally under the sump and battery safely. Will try this later in the week. I recall that we used to keep a water tank from freezing in the old workshop with just a sixty watt bulb under it during the winter.

Happy New Year Ken.

Last Winter when it was very cold I was working in a house in Sevenoaks. The chap had a Morgan in his double garage under it's special fitted cover. There were two large radiators connected to his heating system & the garage was warmer than my lounge! 

We had a discussion about his new boiler not being as energy  efficient as he was hoping. *rolleyes*

Still thinking about this and cannot decide if it gives any real advantage apart from making the Seven available reliably at short notice, ie if the roads are dry and the sun shines during the winter months. A square metre of electric underfloor heating mat is about seventy quid complete with thermostat / timer and is cheap to run. I could cut it to fifty cms by two metres length to fit very nicely under the car, and just have it running for a few hours every morning on the timer "just in case".

For getting the car warm and ready to drive, as opposed to preserving it or having a comfortable working space here's a blast from the past. We used to fit light bulb holders into the ends of these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfAivtL1iFzyeMlAPuoek

150 W worked nicely with the whole thing sitting on top of the engine. But your mat would obviate the fiddling with the bonnet.

Jonathan

PS: In the 1980s I had two years of early-morning commuting from Oxfordshire to central London in a clapped-out Spitfire that lived outside. In winter 15 min from a mains 3 kW fan heater in the footwell made a big difference.

PPS: Other beers were available.