Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pre-purchase inspection.

Gunscrossed

OK, I've seen a couple of cars for sale privately and although I'm fairly confident usually when buying cars this will be my first Caterham and I'm slightly concerned about possible chassis issues rust/damage etc.

Is there anyone in the south east who does pre-purchase inspections?

• Area Representative

Look for bubbling of the side skin at the bottom level with the wlndscreen triangle or a little forward. Caused by corrosion in the grot traps i.e. The gap between the pedal boxes and the side skin. 

The cars I'm interested in are generally not that old but a few have been ex-academy.

I guess I'm slightly worried that they may have been crashed and repaired.

Is the absence of a chassis number on the offside front edge generally a sign that the car has had some work? (see pictures)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1479/13685019/24550865/412956865.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1479/13685019/24550865/412956864.jpg

Or am I way off?

Certainly not afraid of buying an ex race car just want to know exactly what I'm getting. It's strange that it's only when cars are recorded as cat D or C that it affects the value whereas some have had extensive unrecorded crash repairs and make good money. 

Anyone have an answer to the chassis number question?

Metric chassis will have the chassis number on the side (look for the 2 short diagonals each side in the engine bay), imperial car (look for one long diagonal each side ) will have the chassis number on the pedal box.

Cross over year 2007/8 when they went metric, but there are still some later reg cars with an imperial chassis.

Cheers

Ian

My 2008 car (metric) has its chassis number stamped on the O/S top chassis rail:

large_Exhaustwrap.jpg.e1ca0c1fb6cd2daef81c02724cb1176a.jpg

Even if the car has had extensive chassis repairs, such as a new long front, the chassis number should be carried over and recorded in the same place (provided the repair has been done by the correct people -- CC Westbury for metric cars).

JV