Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Arm rest clip locks

Martym

Arm rests have arrived but dont come with stainless fixings... WHY...NOT.. any way will need to order some, instructions aren`t great, assuming looking at them 3 rivets might need to be drilled out & then drill clips & rivet them in place ?? sidescreen-excutcheon-for-armrests-set-o

• Area Representative

I ordered the same months ago, and that is all I got, when I phoned Caterham they said ,oh no the spike part is a special order.  I ordered those at the time of calling and typical Caterham not heard anything for months. When I chased the order nobody knew anything about them!!

i would suggest you try Oxted trimmers even if it means sending the arm rest for them to fit the spike, that is what I intend to do when I get round to it. 

Kingsley. 

That is about right for the fitting - From memory I think the flat section which is riveted to the chassis is meant to slip between the rubber trim and the sill protector and you may even have to over drill the central hole slightly to ensure the spike goes into the fixing far enough!  So in cross section you would have side skin/rubber trim/arm rest fixing/sill protector/chassis.

If in doubt speak to Oxted as they were very helpful and showed me how I had fixed mine incorrectly (I had my arm rest fixing between the side skin and the rubber trim.

Garth

Anybody else thought of using strong small magnets? I am considering replacing the door strap poppers with magnets as I find they are such a pain to do up easily in the S3. It should be possible to use magnets for both closures - yet another winter project!

Haven't seen it suggested before. Should work fine.

How about trying some on their own for a bit before attaching them?

Jonathan

PS: I had some left over after attaching a metal lizard to the beams in our bedroom. So I put them safely away in the garage. And now I can't find them, despite repeated careful tracking with a Silva compass! :-)

I once put a very valuable artwork on a gallery wall with magnets and a single security catch, it worked great and the picture could be easily removed to the strongroom when the place was closed. Magnets are so much better these days, I can often find a use for them in my designs.

Have now experimented with the magnets using double sided tape to fix them temporarily. Seems to work fine so I will source some strong flat bar magnets and give it a proper go using double sided with a steel plate on the interior panels and magnet on velcro to the door interior to find best efficient position before fixing permanently. It is certainly easier to fasten the doors this way.

I fitted my armrests yesterday in the sunshine. Very straightforward. Drilled out 3 rivets, cut the rubber seal so lip centre was flush, lightly tapped into place then drilled through plate using the rivet hole as guide, then riveted ( I had black rivets and a manual riveter) .Doors drilled through in seconds, I did enlarge centre hole slightly on one side so rest slipped in easier. Seems simpler to secure than the popper, for quicker getaways.

Simple job, under an hour both sides. Seems lovely and secure.

image_93.jpeg.787ad234060dd02e87ca284b87b58565.jpegimage_94.jpeg.4e206ef7bab232c0603231cd62d182da.jpeg