Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheap car jump starter

twincamtim

• Area Representative

I have one that I bought specifically for keeping with the Seven or Elise.  Mine is slightly more powerful (29000mAh from memory) but has the same 400 amps peak output.  It says it can start 10 flat vehicles on a single charge.  I've never got to 10 but have certainly done 5 or 6 without recharging the unit and one of these was my 2.3l diesel motorhome that had been standing for the winter and the other was the Elise that was completely flat.

Having a light and portable USB charger is also very useful and I carry it when we go touring in the caterhams so i can charge my phone/ipad in the tent etc..  Mine was a £50 at the Classic car show a couple of years ago and has been well worth the investment.  This ebay one looks superb value.

I have a cheap lithium 8000mah one for the Seven - and it didn't work when I needed it.

My battery was low a few weeks back and had enough juice to turn the engine but not enough to start it. I happen to know this is standard behaviour on my car - because it did that when I test drove it at CC after it had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I suspect it's the old "ECU struggling with lack of voltage on cranking" chestnut discussed here extensively.

Connected the jump starter, V across battery measured >13.5, still didn't start.

Couple of hours on the CTEK conditioner, started fine.

Next time the battery goes low, I'll repeat the experiment.

I have a Floureon Model U9. Its great. Available on ebay for about £36.

if you look that model up on Amazon there's a scary story about one that caught fire while charging.

I know it's a sample of one but would be enough to put me off.

Edit: Page here

Can't be found with a normal search since it's no longer available - I got there through a Google search.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Flouren model U9. Last year I said this was great, but not for long. Just tried jump starting my MGB and after a couple of turns the jump starter voltage dropped away. Also the LED torch on it failed sometime ago. Tried to charge it but it never gets beyond 94%. Destined for the bin.

I have one of these, its amazing. I keep it in the glovebox of my dodge ram (v8 5.7l...) first time I used it on a completely dead battery it started first time, you wouldn't believe it when you look at the size but it works! very solid & seems well made. I now have a new proper battery for the RAM... its a discontinued battery model & trying to get one in the UK was a challenge...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BEZV0IA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1