Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series alternator bolt

stuart147

I have just discovered that there is a bolt missing from my alternator. It is on (well should be) the front of the alternator and looks like there is a spacer that goes in between the bracket and the block, at the other end of this bracket there is provision to slide the alternator up and down. I have found the spacer lying trapped in between the engine and the alternator.

Would anyone know what size bolt I need to get?

Stuart

is it missing or sheered off ?

I had exactly that problem on my old 1.8K SS-R way back in 2005.  I was about to do a Club t/d at Brands.  Instead, I took the car to CC at Dartford, who extracted the remains of the bolt with the help of a neat 90-deg drill attachment.  The spacer had ended up sitting on top of the exhaust primaries!

JV

Thanks for the replies.

I can see the hole quite clearly so not sheared off thankfully. Looking at the front of the car, the bolt that is missing fits on the left hand side of the bracket. I wish I knew how to upload photos on here. There is a spacer around about an inch in length that goes in between the bracket and the engine .

Stuart

Just had another look and no sign of any broken bolt in there. Almost certain now that the bolt is M10 x 50. I will ring Redline in the morning. 

Paul, I had just been looking at that mod from MG before you posted. Looks good but in 8 years of owning the car I have never had a problem with this before so figure just replacing the bolt will suffice.

Stuart