Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Considering aeroscreen but never had one fitted - advice please

tomwood

Would someone be kind enough to talk me through what would be involved in terms of fitting an aeroscreen to a 7 that's never had one fitted.

what exactly is it that needs fitting to the car to retain the screen, is there any drilling to be done etc?

thanks

Tom

• Leadership Team

Hello Tom,

I recently fitted one. Taking it on and off is a 5 minute job once you know how.

• remove the knee trim panels to access the windscreen nuts
  • lay a old curtain on the bonnet (or I use an old foam carry mat)
  • remove the windscreen bolts
  • I put the bottom of the windscreen frame in polythene freezer bags to protect the paint as I remove it.
  • gently lift the windscreen off and lay it on he bonnet (on top of the carry mat)
  • if you have a heated windscreen you will now need to deal with the wires that connect under the scuttle. For ease of fitting and removal, I cut these wires and fitted small bullet connectors.
  • Bolt on the aeroscreen and enjoy...

Redline and Caterham sell a useful retaining channel device, with captive nuts, so that you can take an aeroscreen on and off without removing the knee trim. (See below - sorry not a great photo)

xlarge_IMG_1285.JPG.587fb711a3e79d7716dacb11cc909fb5.JPG

I fitted one to my R400 earlier this year. 

The above sums it up perfectly. I would strongly you advise fitting the channels with captive nuts or its a long job to change. 

Having tried mine out on several occasions I now only use for track days, much preferring a screen and doors on the road. Other opinions are available!!

• Leadership Team

Another thing to know is that the retaining channels need to be positioned at the correct height using washers underneath - this is normal.

The knee panels should be fixed using self tapping screws. I remember that getting them in and out is a bit of an effort - so yes the retaining channels are worth it (unless you leave the knee trim off)

another thing... don't forget the windscreen wipers. They pull off with the help of a flat blade screwdriver twisted underneath.

Lovely, thanks everyone.

Paul - I live just round the corner from that shop you mention and never knew about it. Looks like a very useful shop that one, will go check it out.

I remember fitting the knee trim panels was quite difficult during the build so those captive nut retaining rails look a no brainier.

With regards to the aeroscreen itself, are the ones from Kitcar direct any good? The Caterham ones seem very expensive and, you guessed it, they are out of stock. If anyone has a recommendation on where to get one that would be great. I don't need anything that fancy, I'll only use it on track.

Hi Simon, thanks, few questions on yours.

1) will it fit into the retaining channels discussed above?

2) Is the Perspex OK to be drilled to support some mirrors?

3) does the centre support have to be screwed into the bit behind the dash or is it just free standing?

Thanks, Tom

The best thing I did to mine was replacing the heated screen spade terminals with tiny gold push connections that easily fitted through the grommets in the scuttle. Before I did that pushing the wires through was the longest part of the job.

In my case I simply want it for when going on track whereupon I will be wearing a full face helmet. For the road I'm really not keen for exactly the reasons described. I've never found myself wanting more grunt on the road either so the case for swapping to the aeroscreen for road use doesn't really stack up for me.