Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T: make an RC car motor slower

myothercarsa2cv

Odd request, but you guys know everything! What's the best way to make an RC car motor slooooooow? I am working on a fun project: making an exorcist kid mannequin. I've butchered the RC car, got all the bits, and am almost ready to mount the motor in the body, but one thing I didn't factor in was just how fast these motors spin! Any ideas? The freer the better ;) I tried a resistor from the LED circuit (red red black gold, 22ohm?) in line with the motor and there was no movement... Could diodes be the answer?

Cheers guys. Basically have zero budget for this build so a £5 RC car was bought! I assume it's brushed? Looks like a Scalectrix motor. Will look into those options, tried dropping down to two AAAs instead of 5 AAs, this has made a difference, tried 1 AAA and that didn't work at all. I wonder if there's a minimum voltage to prevent complete discharge of batteries? 

2cv

you need one of these (or similar) from an old rc car. They never use them now because the electronic controllers are so much better and reliable. 

I may have one I took off an old car when I upgraded it. I'll have a look when I next go to my lockup. 

Steve

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img16134_2A1TG_1.jpg

I think the 200 ohm resistor is too big. The variable resistors are basically just wound wire.