Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Bearing failure !

A_redstone

Hello

After a 4 day trouble free trip to the Isle of Wight my 2008 R400d ended up with a wheel bearing failure on the way back , having been recovered back to the garage I wanted to check out their diagnosis with anyone that can offer experience in this .

The bearing has collapsed, the spigot has broken and also the hub has been damaged beyond repair on the front left. The caliper has been damaged slightly but that could be dressed and repaired, however the disc and pad have also been damaged as a result of the failure.

So the Caterham website is offering a upgraded hub replacement set for some £300 and I would need new discs and pads also - replacing both sides with new ( 1 week lead time )

It is hard to tell what parts are currently on the car , however it does have upgraded "big" brakes so possible already has the upgraded hub parts anyway.

I dont want to skimp on this -so does their diagnosis / costs sound about right to anyone has has faced this ?

Or would Redline parts be a better bet ?

Thanks

Andy

Your R400D is the same vintage as mine, and yes it will definitely have the uprated hubs.  You can check this from the size of the castellated nut -- should be 34mm.

I've yet to replace my front discs or pads, so couldn't advise on the best source.  But I'd recommend you replace both sets of front pads.  I would have thought there's no need to replace the O/S disc, unless it's badly worn or scored..

And, as SM25T suggests, this could well be down to lack of grease -- unless you've done some serious kerbing recently?

JV

Thanks all - I have a competent garage doing the work for me .

The disc is scored unfortunately , so if was not for that they would not need replacing.

And I guess if I am doing one side , I need to do both sides.............and both hubs ?

Lack of grease / checking the bearings looks to have cost me a considerable sum .........*furious*

And I think these are crucial parts which you just cannot skimp on !

Reminded by this thread of the stories of poorly greased wheel bearings on new cars I thought I'd have a look at mine. 

Removing the wheels I see there is no dust cap on the end of the stub these days, just the castellated nut with pin.

What type of bearings and seals are used, how are they located on the stub axle and how are they lubricated?

On the updated stub axle/bearings, the seal is part of the bearing - there is no separate seal. 

To replace the front bearing

- remove wheel

- remove brake calliper

- remove split pin from castellated nut, remove nut and thrust washer

- pull off hub with outer bearing

- remove inner bearing, assuming it hasn't welded itself to the stub axle! Remove shim washer against upright  

- press or drift races out of hub, assuming hub isn't damaged 

- press or drift new races into hub

- grease new bearings and smear grease on races

- replace shim washer, inner bearing onto stub axle

- put on hub and outer bearing, ensuring that seals seat cleanly within hub  

- replace thrust bearing and nut

- tighten by hand whilst spinning hub clockwise

- nip another eighth turn and align holes for split pin 

- replace split pin, calliper and wheel

• 3 weeks later...