Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Duratec Oil Usage?

chrisbeddoe

Hi All, 

Just wondering how much oil other R500 D owners are burning through. I know its fairly common to top up a Duratec's oil but after 1500 miles and a track day I poured nearly 2 litres in this morning.

Definitely no leaks, Is this normal?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the responses. Looks like it's not that out of the ordinary then. Just completed another 500miles and a track day so curious how far it's gone down. Had barely moved half way through the track day so seems fairly inconsistent. Thinking it maybe the motorway cruising at higher revs (6 speed box) which is eating up the oil. 

Hi James, yes its dry sump. I am just looking in the reservoir and seeing where it is against compared to the first baffle. Just a visual check really,  not an accurate measure at all but can fairly quickly tell if its is gone down. I always check when the engine is hot too etc

• 10 months later...

Hi 

just to resurrect this thread and going slightly off tangent, how is the level measured on a R500 D. ,looking into the tank I can see two holes through a baffle , the manual is a little confusing in its description of which one to check??? 

My experience of the triangular tank is that they can drain back to the sump differently. When I used to measure the level cold engine off (as well as hot and hot engine off) it varied. Sometimes just below the baffle, sometimes above, sometimes just on it. 

I've taken to checking as soon as it's switched off, hot. It only takes a minute or two to remove hood and nose and the level is then about a centimetre over the baffle. It seems fairly consistent.

I reckon that's about 7 litres and I get nothing coming into the catch tank. It didn't use any oil that you'd notice, even on track days, so far.