Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Full Carbon Fibre Caterham

tomperkins

Richard (RiF) built a full carbon car, apart from the chassis, for his wife Henrietta. Don't know what it weighed. It was for sale for a while but don't know what happened to it. At the time he was building his V6 so all spare money went into it rather than the mechanical spec of Henrietta's.

Think the V6 was also carbon bodied and was recently completed.

• Area Representative

Henrietta still has her all carbon car. Only done a little over 4000 miles and immaculate.  Living in a carcoon for all it's life. She could probably be persuaded to part with it if anyone is interested. PM me if you want details. 

but was/is immensely strong

I guess that is why it didn't weigh any less. It only needs to be as strong as the steel version which should be achievable with carbon fibre for less weight. The photo of it certainly makes it look 'chunky' - I assume that if it was made up using slightly more 'refined' techniques (probably at a huge cost) it would be as strong as a steel chassis but lighter. 

Not sure how they got to the design. Axon uses a technique for recycling carbon fibre (often from old US jet planes) that is strong but not quite as strong as CF using 'new' carbon fibre matting AIUI. They produce square tubes so I assume they simply took those and made them fit an existing pattern. I think the aim was to see if it was possible and relatively cheap and easy rather than to produce the best possible design.

In effect, if a chassis could be produced a bit like a spaceframe in that you cut off lengths of tube then weld (glue) them all together, you end up with a relatively low tech easy to manufacture product that suits a small volume car maker.

In terms of design Dr Steve Cousins, who runs Axon, is ex Cranfield and I know their eco 7 had input from a professor of aero at Cranfield too so I'm pretty certain they would have done the sums pretty well before building the car.

I see from Axon's website that they're now working with Westfield on a rotary engined car with carbon bits so that should be interesting. It's a pity their relationship with Caterham didn't/hasn't yet(?) developed further though.

Andy

• Area Representative

Phew, found it...

I thought I remembered finding and saving this Caterham carbon chassis casestudy into my Dropbox account many years ago.

They talk of 60% weight saving and a cost 4 times that of steel, but I did only scan read it.

They do also show the finished car at the end of the document too and say it was due to road test in September 2007.

Enjoy here peeps...