Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silicone hoses clamp loosen up

glasgow

Noticed today the mikalor clamps of most of my silicone hoses are loose. I upgraded to silicone hoses 3 years ago. In the first few weeks after installing them  I checked the clamps and re-tightened them a couple of times but never checked them again for over two years.

Is it the mikalor loosen up by time because of the vibration and heat? or the silicone hose gets "thinner"?

- is this one of the side effect of silicone hoses or I never tightened them enough 3 years ago?

- how often would you check the clamps? Any recommended torque please?

Thank you

Ahmed

I think the silicone must expand in each heat cycle .... then contract. I check mine every month or so .... they all tighten a turn or so. Don't miss any .... as the one you can't get access to win be the one that drains the system. Been there.

What SM25T says: little and often. But i wouldn't worry at all about what you discovered.

Note that point about the socket. Most clamps can be done up with a screwdriver or a socket tool. Using a screwdriver is notorious for slipping off and spearing it into the next available object, whether man-based or man-made.

I do mine up less tight: screwdriver handle and wrist tight. But I do put a bit of silicone lubricant on the thread and where the band clamps the hose.

Jonathan

Using zinc plated jubilee clips on the Caterham silicone hoses, I've found that they need tightening over the first couple of weeks, but then stay tight after that. It seems that a few heat cycles is enough and then they stabilize. I use the socket technique with 1/4" ratchet, but only use two fingers to tighten.

Are silicon hoses really worth the extra expense over standard ones? Apart from being available in a range of colours what are the advantages. 

Standard nine year old & 30plus k miles hoses on my caterham from when I built it. They still look perfect & I never have to tighten any jubiliee clips.

My hoses must be a lot better than yours were Seven wonders. 6 months life is rubbish.

I'm not aware mainstream car makers fit silicone hoses & do we hear of tin tops suffering regular hose failures?

I think sometimes it's easy to become paranoid about our little cars.