Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series fuel pump leak - confused...beer...FIXED hopefully

julian1

Hi

I had a puddle under the car yesterday and it turned out to be fuel diluted waxoil. The fuel had come from around the fuel pump area on the tank. After cleaning it and running the engine I took this picture. image_0.jpeg.751144772182b838b8d8e0c39b41dc43.jpegThe confusing bit was after cleaning it again and taking the car to the local beer festival last night, there is now no trace of a leak. Clearly a case of beer fixes car. 

Does anyone know what was leaking and what I should do about it? I can't go to a beer festival everyday hoping to cure it sadly.

cheers

Julian 

Look also at the flexible fuel hoses. There are two at the rear. They do harden and crack. Pump to fuel filter and return to top of tank. You can replace them with latest spec 8mm bore fuel hose. On the pump to filter hose .... carefully cut the crimps off and reuse the end fittings with fuel hose clamps .... not jubilee clamps.

Thanks for the help. I've had another look and it is coming from either behind the electrical connection to the pump, or from the banjo union next to it but it is difficult to see. The other bit of evidence is that is only leaks when the engine is running, running at idle is enough to show the problem. 

It is only a tiny leak, but I'd like to sort it. My guess is that it is a copper washer on the banjo letting fuel past. I suppose the only way to know is to replace the copper washers and see what happens. 

I cant see how the leak can come from behind the electrical connection unless the pump is foo barred - comments? 

Im guessing that when I undo the union, I need to make sure the fuel is below the level of the union or I'll get wet? 

Thanks again

Julian 

Hi

Thanks for the post. Did your leak only when the engine is running or all the time? I guess it's a pump off job. 

One other thing, does the black plastic round bit that the wire goes into come off or is this part of the pump body that needs sealing (if it's the same problem as yours)

thanks again

if fuel in tank is above plug then will leak all the time.

the black connector is an interference fit through plate which has pump fixed to back of it, plugs into connector inside tank on the pump, seals with grommet. to remove gently lever with blade of screwdriver under cable clamp at bottom of connector to break seal then continue to lever around base of plug to remove. plugs into connector inside tank on pump and tricky to reconnect, got to be careful to align connectors and not to dislodge one inside tank. if you do then will need to undo plate retaining screws and slide pump out to make connection then reinsert pump. not much room to play with but helps to remove long tank strap bolt to give better access. Tank out isn't that big a job and makes access a whole lot easier. Remember to drain tank.

Thanks everyone for the help.

i changed the copper washers in the banjo union tonight and it all appears to be leak free so far. It needed to be pretty tight to stop fuel coming out but seems ok now. I'll keep my eye on it for a while.

thanks again

Julian