Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's your best 'quick win'?

tomperkins

I recently had my throttle stick wide open at around 90mph. Thankfully I was on a fairly open stretch of road but still eye opening to say the least.

To avoid the same thing happening again I took a look at the linkage between my throttle cable and my Jenvey throttle bodies. There was slight play in the linkage so I improved this with some plastic washers so there's now zero play. When doing this I also re-balanced the throttle bodies using a Synchrometer that a friend lent me (thanks Alex).

The result of these mods, which cost a couple of quid and no more than an hour or two, is the car feels a million times better. The throttle response is much improved and the engine responds really smoothly at lower revs.

In light of the big difference this simple adjustment has made, I wondered what your best quick win has been? What simple change have you made that's made a big difference?

Turn the rev counter around a bit so I could see the important range through the 260mm momo.

The other, not seven related, concerns the original mini heater which was either screen or feet where the basic mechanism had a curved piece of metal with two notches for these settings - i ground an extra one inbetween for screen and feet. You could place it half way but it could vibrate either way. I always wondered why it wasn't designed with the mid stop??

Ian 

Always had a problem with the speedo needle jumping around and, on track, just dropping to zero. The speed sensor in the rear hub had very little space and the wires were bent and prone to chaffing. So I made a small bracket from scrap aluminium which positioned it much better and I haven't had a problem since!

Without a doubt, the best 'free' mod I ever did was to remove the redundant engine mount bracket from the front of my K Series engine, and blank the hole in the timing cover with some spare alloy sheet. 

On a similar vein, swapping out the ancient XFlow radiator fan for a modern Spal version gave another 2 kilo (approx) weight saving, for almost no effort, and in my case, pennies cost.

Without a doubt, the best 'free' mod I ever did was to remove the redundant engine mount bracket from the front of my K Series engine, and blank the hole in the timing cover with some spare alloy sheet.

I've seen that mentioned a couple of times. Are there any details available?

Thanks

Jonathan

JK, it's at the front of the engine, 4 bolts, just remove the cam belt cover, undo the bolts, blank over the gap in the cam belt cover, reaffix cam belt cover. Pic shows it upside down. You can see the shaded part (with empty threaded holes in it) looking up at you when you peer down from above.

image.jpeg.7edf851d5a7cb0b9656a1cf7045ead75.jpeg

One of my quickest wins was fitting CR500 after heavier tyres. I could feel the difference straight away in the reduced rotating and unsprung mass.  Then they wore out and Ive not run them since, too expensive ;-) 

Thanks Jonathan.

Yes, mine's very similar except in brown. It's very touchy feely and has a good solid 'click' when you operate it. The lamp flashes at the same speed as the indicators (so I guess would also run faster if you have a blown bulb too?). It's bolted onto the dash and as it has screw electrical fittings I just removed the old bullet connectors and connected the two bare wires to the switch.

On my to do list is learning how to attach pics... Just tried on another post but it rejected it as the original file was 9.7mb. Sorry!

Andy

Agree about headlight bulbs.

Knee pads in work trousers.

On tools:

• Buying a multimeter and getting familiar with it.
  • A smaller socket set. I was told this before my build and was amazed how much it helped.
  • T-shaped plastic-handled hex keys. Haven't used them much on the 7 but on the bikes and other tasks  they make a big difference,

Jonathan

PS: Has anyone already suggested joining the Club?