Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonnet Strengthening

Jon Stewart

I have large cut outs in my bonnet for the air filter and exhaust and because of the resulting loss of strength it sags in the middle.

i was thinking of bonding some reinforcing strips to it to regain some rigidity and wondered if anyone has tried this or had any other suggestions? 

Is the bonnet a very tight fit front to back as well? And are the rear clips difficult to get on?

If so, if it's possible to move the scuttle back a couple of mm that might sort your drooping.

If not, maybe some ali angle iron type material araldited to the bonnet and running front to back might help.

Good luck!

Andy

It needs a Chanel section bonding along the length in the middle so as to transfer support from the supported part to the sagging part . Unless the support section has " depth " at a right angle to the skin I doubt it will work . Thin strips bonded on will just add weight to the bonnet and add to the sagging .

just my thoughts ! 

How about a lightweight double-skinning job? A layer of balsa wood (5ish mm) bonded to the ally covered with a couple of plies of carbon fibre should give more stiffness in all directions. There are plenty of videos on Youtube about how to lay up the CFC using the bonnet as the pattern.

Steve

A channel would be the simplest option if there is enough clearance with the engine. The sagging is because the lower part under the exhaust manifold is missing. An option would be to put a 5 mm pin before and after the exhaust header in the chassis rail, then drill 2 holes in the bonnet so that they slide over these pins, this prevents the bonnet from sliding forward.