Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel Filter Removal - Miracle Required

Midas

• Leadership Team

Posting in desperation.*tumbleweed*

The fuel filter on my 15 year old car is the original one. I did try and take it off last year but it was seized solid.

I'm determined this winter to change it (for piece of mind),  but none of the joints top or bottom of the filter will budge no matter how much release fluid I use. It doesn't help that all the components are easily damaged if too much pressure is used.

before I butcher it off and resign  myself to replacing all the hoses as well - any good ideas.

I'm told not to damage the top brass fuel rail as it is a nightmare to replace.

Oh, and how much fuel comes out when you remove it - does it drain the tank through gravity?

The very sensible comment about do not use heat brings a suggestion to mind.

What about trying to create some expansion in the couplings by carefully pouring boiling water from a kettle over the joints? It may need quite a soaking to allow heat to permeate into the threaded areas.

From memory (best check this out) the auto-ignition temperature of gasoline is above the boiling point of water, and is above  200 degrees C.

Re Jonathan's pipe freezing idea.  Freezing is primarily used by plumbers to create an ice plug inside a pipe whilst a connector is speedily undone and replaced. It is a technique sometimes used to negate draining down a whole heating system if a simple valve needs changing.

what sort of unions are you trying to undo?  Is this a K series with the in-tank pump and rear end mounted fuel filter?

Can you provide a photo as these things are rarely  impossible to undo.  They're unlikely to be corroded but could be cross-threaded although, again, unlikely.

Jonathan's freezer idea is well worth trying on the inner part.  Wickes plumbers freezer in a spray can.

When I converted my car from XFlow to K series, I swapped to an injection fuel tank with pump inside it, but rather than use the CC fuel filter with the screwed fittings (because it is ridiculously expensive) I used a VW Polo fuel filter with push-on fittings. My advice would be to just butcher the filter out, then replace the pipes either side with push-on versions, and use a similar VW filter which will never give you this much grief ever again, and is much cheaper to replace.

• Leadership Team

Thank you to everyone for their helpful hints. In the end I had to use brute force and as such all the components from the top of the filter back to the fuel tank will need to be replaced.  Every single joint was seized solidThankfully the parts are on order.