Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wingstays - can't get mine to fit - Is it me?

Jonathan T

It's the ball joint of the top wish bone - the balljoint passes through the top of the vertical link then through the bracket of the wing stay.

There's quite a nice shot of one here.  I'd have to cause some pretty major damage to mine to get it to bend by the required amount.

Thanks.

Is this the same as your Guide?

5.5.2) Wide track

The upright is located into the spherical joint on the lower wishbone. Prior to locating the upright, a spacer located in the polythene bag marked ‘front suspension’) must be inserted onto the bottom of the upright. The upright is secured using the special turned down nyloc nut supplied. Tighten the special nyloc nut to 55 Nm.

The cycle wingstay locates on the upright. Remove and discard the 1/2” UNF nyloc nut and plain washer fitted to the inner end of the stub axle. Place cycle wingstay over the stub axle and secure using the 1/2” UNF nyloc provided. Do not tighten.

NOTE

If uprated front brake callipers have been specified ensure that the brake pads are installed before fitting the cycle wingstays.

Pass the top wishbone ball-joint down through the top of the upright and through the wingstay. To fully engage the tapers of the wishbone and ball-joint, fit the M14 plain nut (6) from the fastener pack, apply pressure to the top of the ball-joint and tighten the plain nut. Once the ball-joint is locked in place remove the plain nut and replace it with the nyloc supplied on the ball-joint. Tighten the nyloc nut to 54 Nm.

Tighten the inner stub axle nut to 82 Nm and ensure that the upright turns freely on the wishbones.

Remove and retain the nyloc nut from the track rod end. Remove and discard the hard plastic boot protector from the track rod end taper and pass the tapered shaft down through the steering arm on the upright, secure with the nyloc nut. Tighten nyloc nut to 34 Nm.

Your front suspension should now resemble that shown in Figure 34. (IVA covers not shown) 

Jonathan

That looks to be the same - I'm working from the Feb 2015 instructions.  No where have I read about any difficulty fitting these - they should just fit.  As both the LHS & RHS show the same problem, it looks to me like the wrong parts.  I've only removed the nyloc and washer and just performed a bench fit on both sides as I'm checking everything now due to the issue with the lower LHS wishbone.

Thanks.

The spacer at the bottom of the upright is irrelevant for fitting the wingstays. It's for widetracking and aids in ground clearance and/or suspension travel, I can't remember exactly which.

The wingstay doesn't look a million miles out. I'd go with Elie's suggestion of gentle persuasion to get the horizontal part of the stay to fit under the upright. If at first blue language doesn't work, get the hammers and mallets out.

Is it worth measuring a couple of things on the wing stays and axles thenposting these here so that the dimensions can be compared with other members cars?

From the photos, it looks to me like it could be either the distance from wings stay horizontal bracket uppermost surface to lower fixing point aperture centre line that is out. 

Or, could it be the corresponding dimensions on your axles that have been incorrectly machined on the underside of the top ball joint fixings? 

I still think it is due to the different uprights. I have some wingstays off the car so here are some measurements you can compare yours with. From top edge of stub axle hole to top edge of horizontal plate is 91mm and from centre of stub axle hole to underside of horizontal plate is 97mm. How do yours compare?

It would be very hard to bend the windstay as it has a reinforcing bend along the edge to make it rigid.

If you have to bodge it, I would definitely do as you say and enlarge the hole for the stub axle as long as you will still be able to get the nut on. As others have said, this used to be a very straightforward part of the build. They appear to have changed the uprights, but haven't modified the stays *rolleyes*

Duncan