Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grounding lowered floor

jimmct

Looking for some advice as since I've had my drivers floor lowered I'm getting caught out and occasionally grounding on the road despite my best attempts to avoid any ridges or bumps. Car is 1997 classic race with the original 13" weller rims running 185/70/r13 at 28psi.

I've measured the clearance with drivers weight added and I've got 94mm at the rear of the floor pan and 85mm at the lowest point (directly below steering wheel).

no serious damage yet but some for some heavy scoring. Issue occurs when driving enthusiastically along the country roads which aren't in the best of condition in Northamptonshire. No doubt my weight does not help......15 and a bit stone.

Thanks

James

Hello James,

I have a 2012 Road sport SV with lowered floors and I grind on speed ramps on the bolts for the seats. I have adjusted the rear springs by 13mm on both sides which has stiffened up the back end it doesn't wallow and feels more responsive. The other thing I have done is removing the nuts from the seats and replacing them with a alloy square bar the same size as the nuts, I drilled the bar and threaded it to fit the bolts from the seats, I also cut the ends of the bar at a steep angle like skids on a sleigh once tightened I ground off the bolts that protruded leaving a flat skid.  I still sometimes bump things but the skids take the wear. It's a balance I want to be as close to the road as possible but not doing damage to my car.

Hi Jonathan

clearance under sump is 84mm. I'm always careful around town so speed bumps aren't much of an issue. The problem is the floorpan out on the country roads (sump is ok). At speed when the rear is under compression and the road has excessive undulations is when the floor gets hit.

I'm no expert but agree with those who state that the suspension is too soft. I've measured my lowered floor and that is also just over 9cm above the road and the seat bolts are probably only 8cm. I've had problems wih some speed bumps catching the seat bolts when there is only me in the car. Even two up I've never grounded in normal driving and that includes one local road where I'm regularly airborne.

I'll second Protech and as stated above rose joints on the bottom end of the rear shocks are the way to go. 

I fitted a set on my LA car earier this year along with new springs; 250 lb on the front and 125 lb on the back. 

Its worth getting hold of some corner weight scales (or be a cheapskate like I did with 4 sets of bathroom scales) and doing a bit of research on how to do a DIY corner weight set up - the springs, shocks (and bathroom scales!) completely transformed the handling of my car for less than £600 all in.

Rob

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Looks like new adjustables all round. Like the look of the Protechs, thanks Rob and Wonders. Would these be preferred over AVOs or Gaz or are the performances similar and it's a matter of aesthetics? 

Not tried AVO or Gaz on a 7 but was recommended Protech by a number of satisifed customers and am delighted with them. You need to specify open and closed lengths and what fittngs are required at either end and tell them they are for a 7 and they will valve them to suit the weight of the car.

Bit of a wait for them to be manufactured I seem to remember so best to plan ahead if you need them soon.

Rob