Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheeler Dealers - Keyless start

Jonathan T

I saw the WD episode last night - Whats the consensus on the removal of the ignition barrel?

Presumably as the original is exposed and provides no mechanical steering lock the wires can be easily shorted or replaced with a simple switch and relay?

I'm still waiting for delivery of my set of boxes....

Thanks!

The standard barrel arrangement does provide a mechanical column lock when the key is removed, ISTR there being discussions about doing what you are suggesting many years ago on here, I think it came down to whether your insurer was happy with a keyless and perhaps un-immobilised car. If removed it's a bit more weight saved but don't forget to take the filler cap key with you!

I wanted to do it but couldn't fathom the wires on the ignition barrel.  Unlike the WD car which had two wires attached, mine had five plus those going to the start button.  God knows what most of those are for, and no one here could definitively help at the time.

Mr A, what engine have you got, if it's a k-series then I could probably dig out the wiring diagram for you for the start button (which is what I assume you are referring to). As for the steering lock, if you have a removable steering wheel then the installation of this removes the steering lock as well (as the upper column is replaced), if you have a fixed steering wheel then the steering lock is incorporated into the ignition barrel. 

I removed mine years ago as the ignition barrel with keys in used to get in the way of my legs. The immobiliser (k-series) is unaffected by the ignition barrel removal. 

Graham. 

That's interesting, I'm sure my last Seven (which had a standard splined Q/R wheel) still had a steering lock and you are very correct about the Rover plipper. Another way around ditching the barrel key lock would be to look around to see if any aftermarket 'keyless go' solutions would suit I'm sure there must be a few that incorporate an immobiliser.

For anyone else interested in dumping the weight and complexity of the ignition barrel and pretending to be a fighter pilot with an aircraft-style arming switch, I have the diagram on my Dropbox (I think it originally came from the Fast Grandad, Paul Deslandes):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqfwdxlr5ouofkp/31%20July%202012%20-%20App%20B%20Electrical.pdf?dl=0