Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How long to take an engine out??

solstice

:-)  never was very good at leisurely Roger. But agree if it's the first time then allow a day and take photos and label things. As you do it more often you will get quicker and make changes to the install to ease the process next time. 

It it is a job that is easier with two people, saves a little time but more importantly the skin on your knuckles and the powder coat on the chassis!

Solstice, agree with the comments re timing to get engine out and back in again, but having just completed replacing my rear oil seal, 2 points to bear in mind:

1) Make sure you buy a good replacement seal, mine was replaced when the engine was refreshed and it blew out after approx 1000 miles. See my post from a few weeks ago but DVA supplied me with a proper OEM seal.

2) You will need to allow 24 hours for the sealant that is used to go off. You will also highly likely need to use some form of clamping mechanism to hold it in place whilst it is going off so don't plan on getting it out and back in a day.

Graham 

I did mine earlier this year, K-Series/6-speed, initially I just did the engine because I thought it was the rear oil seal, turned out to be the gearbox.  A load leveller was invaluable. I wish I'd removed them together because I think it's easier and lessens the risks of damaging the clutch, gearbox mounts etc.  Also I wish I'd removed the reverse switch before extracting the engine/gearbox and refitted it after putting them back in as I managed to break two.