Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightweight flywheel, why?

andy_h

Hi, to answer your question there is a calculable difference, read here: http://www.w8ji.com/rotating_mass_acceleration.htm

I've just fitted the TTV racing lightweight flywheel to my car and I can tell you it's one of the most noticeable differences I've made to the engine spec. Engine response is completely changed. Just a wiggle of your big toe has the engine revving up and requires you to alter your throttle and clutch control considerably. You can't be lazy with gear changes and pulling away requires more revs but ultimately it's far more rewarding. Less reciprocating mass means less energy wasted accelerating engine components and ultimately affects the cars acceleration as per above link calculations. It doesn't change the bhp output of your engine but does does alter the bhp-seconds.

for the money, I'd say it's definitely worth it. At £270 for a TTV Racing light weight K Series flywheel which is 100g lighter than the R500 flywheel and includes integral ring gear you really can't go wrong. Order one immediately!

P

That's a strange article. It's got some good practical points but a lot of the physics is simply wrong or garbled. The approach to units is a bit unusual but that's not too surprising as it uses a mix of systems and tries to stay with "horsepower" to make it accessible. (And although removing mass from the centre of a crankshaft will have less effect on the moment than removing it further out it may be sensible in terms of optimising strength or stiffness against mass.)

Less reciprocating mass means less energy wasted accelerating engine components... 

Changing the mass or moment of a symmetrical flywheel doesn't reduce the reciprocating mass, but it does make it easier to accelerate the engine.

Jonathan

OK so that all makes sounds sense to me and I understand most of it *headache* .

However, do you think there would be any real benefit if I 'stuffed' a lightwight flywheel in with my car:

• standard mk 9 gearbox
  • 1.8K ss that has had a little DVA 1.4 - 1.8 upgrade and some pixie dust sprinkled over it.
  • still has the standard Rover MEMS (i'll upfgradone day)

Andy