Click here if you are having website access problems ×

do the headrests come off the standard cloth seats? 98 Classic

paul_w

hello, this might turn out to be a daft question, but can you remove the headrests on grey cloth adjustable seats of '98 vintage? I've bought a tonneau that doesn't have pockets for headrests (will be changing the seats and roll bar in time anyway and will have the headrests mounted on the bar)

About to head off to France on Wednesday and I thought the tonneau would be handy if the headrests are removable - however, lots of pulling to no avail and I'm worried I'll break something - is there a knack or are they a permanent fixture?

If they are the ones with the single chrome "oval" stem then they do come off (or mine of 2001 vintage did).

However, they are held in place with a steel coiled spring-like thing, and have a tendency to rust and stick.

Try squirting some WD40 or similar down the outside of the tube so it runs down through the collar and leave it a bit before pulling straight up (sometimes earier to do from behind the car, or kneeling on the boot rim). 

That part number shows the "oval" stem hole in the top of the seat that I was meaning, so if you've got that then maybe they are the same.

Even when free they do need a very good wiggle, at the same time as pulling straight up (in line with the seat back, not vertically)

Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...

If you do have the chrome oval stems, and assuming you can get them out, a good tip is to squeeze the 'long' side of the oval in by a few millimetres. This helps with the removal and refitting as the friction is not so bad. Also make sure that the seat is far enough forward so that you can pull the head restraint straight upwards without fouling the roll bar.

This has worked well on my '96 classic for many years

Terry

Paul, if they are the of the single 'oval' stem type, like my '97 Seven, then your problems may not end with getting them out.  Once you've got them out getting them back in can be a nightmare.  Getting the end of a squared off stem to slide into a squared off seat tube can be next to impossible.  Solution I used was to file/grind a chamfer on the end of the stem to allow it to feed into the seat tube.  Makes refitting the headrest a whole lot easier.  

Mind you, I am surprised that they are difficult to remove as your car is newer than mine so I'm wondering if they are not the same as mine, which has leather seats but I thought both cloth and leather trimmed seats of that vintage used the same seat frame?!  The explanation might be that they have gone rusty as the chrome on the stem's is rather thin and soon goes rusty.  As suggested previously, some WD40 or release spray might be the answer to that problem.  

I hope that helps.

Thanks all, have just got back from France where the stormy weather meant I used the tonneau quite a bit - the headrests were just a little stuck due to rust. The first time one came out I of course ended up hurling it into the air in surprise but luckily it didn't land on the car! They are going in and out easily enough now though.