Click here if you are having website access problems ×

aircraft type protected cover ign. switch

Anthony

Having a dreadful day - so decided I should buy something. Nothing like a bit of retain therapy.

In Coventry today, so no RS catalogue to hand.

Anyone have details of the aircraft style switches with a protected cover, which can be used for the ignition ( I am doing away with ignition switch and already have the big red button...)

Many thanks ☹️

Jeez that's quick. I ordered the aircraft switch (on/off + start, all-in-one) yesterday afternoon by phone from DT (spoke to Dave Kimberley) and it arrived in this morning's mail.

For the record the DT part number is LON 4549. Price for this or for the on/off only version (whose part number I don't know) as previous post.

cheers

Chris

I played around for quite a while as I wanted a spot that was easy to reach but not liable to get accidentally knocked off when you reach for a switch etc. Also a place where my partner can't accidentally knock it while redoing the lipstick etc.

I finally put it above the oil temperature gauge lying horizontally just to the right of the immobilser LED so that it opens away from me. It seems to be a pretty safe place (famous last words!) and looks good too. I can also rest my fingers on the top of the dash just above when pushing it over one more position with my thumb to start (I fitted the combined switch).

Sod's Law as usual dictated that the world's thickest wiring loom runs right behind that spot so I had to do some arm wrestling to get it in, but it's OK now.

rgds

Chris

Not sure what you mean Peter. I didn't change any of the wiring layout from the original ignition switch, I just moved it to the new switch. If I try to start without disabling the immobiliser, the car will indeed start but conks out after about 2 seconds.

rgds

Chris

Peter, I have an immobiliser fitted. As Chris has said, the engine can be turned over and will start and run for approx 1-2 seconds and then stop.

I have thought about trying to incorperate the immobiliser so that the starter button cannot be used when immobilised. Still thinking..... *confused*

Fitted my switch where the immobilser LED is (was) above the centre of the temp and oil gauges. The starter button is below the gauges on the same cente line as the switch

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

Good idea Gareth. One way to do it would be to pick up a live from the immobilser LED and use this to operate a relay whose contacts are in series with the start switch. Depending on how much current drive is available on the LED line, it might be necessary to incorporate a transistor to switch the relay.

In order to reduce the current drawn when the car is switched off, it's probably better to wire the relay such that it is energised when the LED is off (ie: when you're driving). If the relay should fail, wired this way, it won't stop the engine, merely prevent starting next time. You could even incorporate a small hidden on/off switch to bypass the relay should this ever happen until you can replace the relay.

I think I'll go and try it now........ back later!!!

rgds

Chris

Should have checked the wiring diagram first 😳. The immobiliser LED has 12v permanently fed from the battery and the immobiliser unit effectively earths the cathode of the LED (through a resistor somewhere) to light it up.

In which case, you're gonna need a transistor to switch the relay if you want to avoid unnecessary current drain from the battery when the car is off. Sod's Law at work again. It's not difficult, I can email a circuit diagram if you would like it. The OFF current drain would be similar to a dash-mounted analogue clock.

rgds

Chris

Should have checked the wiring diagram first 😳. The immobiliser LED has 12v permanently fed from the battery and the immobiliser unit effectively earths the cathode of the LED (through a resistor somewhere) to light it up.

In which case, you're gonna need a transistor to switch the relay if you want to avoid unnecessary current drain from the battery when the car is off. Sod's Law at work again. It's not difficult, I can email a circuit diagram if you would like it. The OFF current drain would be similar to a dash-mounted analogue clock.

rgds

Chris

1.8K 140hp V11 CPW Burgundy SV with silver nose and stripe

My brain is in the fridge this afternoon..... I forgot it flashes!!! OK so the circuit gets more complicated. A missing pulse detector is needed (based on a 555 timer chip) which is reset everytime the LED flashes but times out (allowing starting) if the LED doesn't flash after a couple of seconds.

It's not rocket science electronically speaking (I can give you a circuit) but it's probably not something that someone without any electronic knowledge would want to attempt. I'll put one together to check anything else I forgot 😳 and maybe offer it to members.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

Definitely possible. All one needs is an input that changes when the car starts - for example monitoring the ignition LED in the tacho - and using this in some simple logic to inhibit the starting button through a relay. The clever bit will be to use only one relay to do both functions, ie: no start when either the LED is flashing or the engine is on.

I need to put the grey cells into gear - I'll do some doodling - but it's definitely a good idea.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe