Click here if you are having website access problems ×

aircraft type protected cover ign. switch

Anthony

Of course it occurs to me that the simplest way of acieving the same thing - although not as elegant - is to wire an ON/OFF switch in series with the starting button. This could be hidden away but easily accessible to the driver and would prevent someone else's starting the car even for the 2 seconds that the immobiliser allows. Once started, it could be switched off again to prevent anyone in the car reaching over and accidentally pushing the start button thereby causing all manner of graunching sounds!

As I say, not as elegant, but certainly cheap, simple and effective.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

OK, I have designed and tested the start inhibit circuit. ie: when the immobiliser is ON, the start button will not function at all (so no more 2 secs of engine running). When the immobiliser is switched OFF, the circuit waits for about 3 seconds and then reactivates the start button allowing normal operation. It works great!

The good news is that when the immobiliser is ON and my circuit is just monitoring (ie: start button inhibited) the current draw due to the new circuit is only about 1mA. The car battery would run that for about 3 years!!!

Now I want to work on the bit that inhibits the start button while the engine is actually running.

By the way if the circuit should ever fail, a simple jumper wire between two of the screw terminals will bypass it and allow normal starter button operation as before. So as long as someone in the car has a hairclip, you're never going to get stranded. There is no failure mechanism that can permanently inhibit starting.

The cost of the bits is small - a few £'s. Need to cost in a box and the making of a proper PC board, plus my labour of course.... that's where the big bucks start!!!!!!!!

will keep you posted

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe