Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New SV - old questions?

Chris W

I have just taken delivery today of a factory-built new 1.8 140bhp SV. Christmas is here at last! Apologies if some of these questions have come up before, but I'm brand new to blatchat. It's also 3am!!! Do all blatchatters stay up so late?

I'm going to talk to CC tomorrow of course on some of the issues below but your previous experience is really welcome.

1. Where can I get the aircraft style flip up ignition switch in the UK? (I have seen the Longacre product on the web with the switch and starter button combined on one panel but I would prefer to get the items and mount them separately.

2. I don't have a steering lock (or it's not working). Is this because I have a Q/R Momo s/wheel?

3. The hazard warning switch emits a loud buzz as I switch it on or off. Is that normal and, if so, why? It works perfectly otherwise.

4. The handbook says that an intermittent wipe is fitted. However, following the handbook instructions (switch on wipers to low then off) doesn't make it function?

5. The nose cone is fixed by two quick release clips with large screwdriver slots situated on the sides where the bonnet fits over it. The front is held in place by the fibre glass moulding resting on and slightly around a chassis member. Is this correct? The nosecone can be moved quite a bit by hand even once the bonnet is back on.

6. I know I'm being dumb, but where have they hidden the coil, distributor and spark plugs? Unless they're way down low somewhere, I really can't see them..... and I don't believe in perpetual motion!!

many thanks

Chris *smile*

1. Lots of options, Demon Tweeks and Vehicle Wiring Products are probably sensible places to start.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Don't believe the handbook

5. Complain about the fit of the bonnet and nosecone and have the factory rectify the problem asap - I let them convince me that it would be ok and now need some substantial work done to the car in order to repair the damage done by the nosecone moving around at speed. The nosecone has cut through the front of the ali sideskins, the powedercoat on the bottom chassis rail, and the corners of the bonnet have chafed through the paintwork on the scuttle and nosecone.

6. There is no distributor - you have two coils mounted under the plastic cover on top of the engine - if you are really curious then undoing the three visible bolts will reveal all.

Unless they have changed for the SV; there should be two more quarter turn fasteners under the nosecone with the wire clips being fitted teh fibreglass There are two flat plates welded to the front cross tube where the fasteners are located.

As for the wipers - your guess is a good as anyone's *confused* Mine have a mind of their own, although I have to say, do operate on an intermittent cycle at some combination of switch flicking

Steve B

You don't have intermittent wipers? Why not? Can I disable mine (bloody useless anyway)?

Nosecone may be helped by fitting a thick foam self sticky strip on the chassis member. From memory, the "hook" part of the nose, where it unsuccessfully wraps round the chassis member, is not a tight fit. A chunk of foam strip will help this. I've seen it work quite successfully.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Welcome to Blatchat Chris, hope your delighted with your new aquisition.

Check that there aren't any fastenings underneath the nosecone, mines a recent one and it has them fitted, getting them to fit properly however is another matter!!

You'll have to come along to the area meeting at the folly near Towcester, third Tuesday of every month., good friendly bunch.

*thumbup*

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I spoke to CC this morning and their response was as follows:

Steering Lock - not fitted with Q/R wheel

Hazard Warning switch does have a buzzer in it which activates during the brief moment of switching - no use, just happens to be the switch they use

Intermittent Wipe - stopped fitting it 4 years ago because it was "useless". They didn't realise it was still in the handbook. I was pleased as I had built a wiper delay circuit prior to delivery and now I get to use it!

The nose cone question: more problematic this one. They claimed the 2 clips (called "Zeus" clips I discovered!) and the fitment over the lower chassis member are perfectly adequate. After I pointed out that the nosecone still moved even with the bonnet on and that other Blatchat members had had related problems, they said that they would fit a strip of rubber (as per your useful replies earlier) over the lower chassis member at the 500 mile service!!

Re the aircraft flip up ignition switch - Demon Tweek only do the panel mounted Longacre product and Vehicle Wiring don't do one. Any other ideas please?

Also I asked CC about tyre pressures as the handbook states 16psi front and rear for my 16" 205/45's but they were delivered with a pressure of 22psi all round. (excuse the pun) What do you think? CC said that 22psi is better if one is going to use it mainly on the road.

thanks again for the help

Chris

22psi sounds high.

"Dzus clips", FWIW.

I am reckoning on using industrial velcro to attach the flat rearward facings of the nosecone. Don't wait 500 miles as the damage will be done.

Demon Tweeks do sell the flip up switches. Try asking for Dave Kimberly. He knows exactly which item you need. They do a neat three position switch which avoids the need for any starting button, which is my preferred setup.

chris you may want to get some hoop velcro strips and apply then to the body work just by above/in front of the rear wheels where the SV "doors" meet. for some reason there's more than a bit of spray on SV's that comes in there. keeps them closed better

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

I've put two strips of dark coloured draught excluder side by side on the nosecone where it "fits" over the lower chassis member and a further strip where the nosecone sits under the bonnet and also where the bonnet sits on the body in front of the windscreen. The latter two are simply to augment the existing hard rubber that CC put on. It's made the whole thing somewhat more rigid or, more accurately, less loose but it's not engineering.

that actually makes better sense than my putting on the self-adhesive rubber strip on the bottom of the cone where it rests on the supports to force it in a bit more. i'll have to get some more and give that a go.

i've had my car up to 145 mph and the nosecone hasn't wobbled, or at least with my eyes jiggling at that speed it didn't appear to be. but have seen a cone come up and over on the *ky sports coverage last season..

BTW Chris, check the thread aircraft type protected cover ign. switch as anthony has found what you're looking for for about 1/2 price

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 29 Jan 2003 16:49:14

Grab the end of the nosecone and lift up and push back a little, you might be surprised how much it can move..

If you look at this picture - here you can clearly see how much the front of the bonnet lifts at around 80-90mph.

If the bonnet lifts like this then there is nothing to stop the nosecone rocking backwards..