Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What key?

Midas

• Leadership Team

I have just fitted a replacement ignition switch assembly which was purchased from Caterham.

The problem is that the pair of new keys that came with the switch are very difficult to hold as they have a very small 'handle'.

I have drawn a blank with the usual key replacement kiosks who cannot identify the source of the key.

I thought the switch came from a landrover defender or other older rover /triumph product. It is stamped 'Newton' on the barrel.

Any ideas what the caterham switch comes from?

Why not attach an attachment to the head of the key with araldite. You will find locksmiths or eBay will also be able to sell keyholders to aid those with reduced dexterity .... ie to make it easier for them to turn a Yale key in a front door lock.

• Leadership Team

Mark W,

I think your profile photo provides the 'key' to my problem. If you took the head off your key, you would be left with exactly with the style of key I got with the switch. Mine has the two holes that clearly are meant to attach to some type of plastic or billet 'head'.

• Leadership Team

Doh!

Spot on. It never occurred to me that i had to buy the key fob separate from the ignition key! I never stop learning about these cars.

Mind you, it might have been a good idea if caterham had posted this useful info on the webpage for the ignition switch