Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo Seal- fed up of it leaking!!

Titanium7

Have replaced the seal in the 6 speed box 3 times and it still leaks, I know they all do this! (not using the drive as the car has a Stack).

I have the two plugs to seal it up once and for all. It looks like a gearbox out to do it properly unless someone can suggest a bit of trickery to get the current larger plug out on the driver's side. Cannot make a hole in the tunnel wall as its right on a bracing member.

Has anybody successfully 'whacked' the existing end of the protruding speedo drive and by doing so knocked out the large plug on the driver's side. If so how do you get the new plug back in?

It's quite possible to undo the bottom bolt and mov the gearbox tail over enough to remove the cup opposite the speedo drive - bit fiddly though.

Alternatively, the speedo drive is plastic, so you could just remove the seal, break off the protruding plastic shaft and then drift in a blanking cup (available from CC or redline, or even Ford).

Mine is leaking too even after a (careful) seal change. I have a cable driven speedo so plugging not a option really.

Whats the main cause and fix?

My next plan is, on returning from a run, jack the car up, remove cable and top hat and see exactly where it's coming from.

Ian

Understand the oil runs through the hollow shaft of the bit that carries the quill, as it was not closed off internally when two parts were joined together in manufacture. If this is what is happening ... changing the seal won't cure this.

My understanding from speaking to the experts ...Apparently the little speedo drive gear in the box has a gear wheel and short shaft. There is a metal sleeve pressed over the shaft which is not sealed. .... oil can get between the shaft and sleeve. There is also a square hole through the centre of the shaft where the quill sits. This is a through-hole .... not a blind hole. This gear is apparently no longer made in the size we use.

I eventually stopped one leaking on a stack car by sealing under the brass top hat section with an o ring and sealant and then pushing a walking stick rubber over the open end of the top hat .

i did look at fitting the metal bungs but it didn't look realistic with the gearbox in the car .

You still need to sort out where the top hat meets the gearbox , oil will come out there . ( well it did on mine !)

Remove  the circlip , clean it and reseat on a rubber washer . Refit circlip .

As standard it's a loose fit to allow the angle drive to move to the best position to suit the cable route .