Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo wire

Bumble

Hi in Italy at the moment and speedo has stopped working overnight, any obvious remedies? All looks like it goes into the speedo ok, just worried about Swiss on the way back as they have a more stringent way of looking at speed compared to Italians or French 

Matt

What sort of sender (as above) and dash?

Visual inspection of wires at the sensor.

Any problems with other instruments? If so check instrument earth.

Alternative speedometers:

• Satnav as above
  • Smart 'phone with speed display
  • Put marks (Chinagraph or Letraset or similar) on the rev counter for limit speeds in top (or other appropriate gears).

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Right I now know why my speedo was playing up. It happened just after I gave the insurance company my mileage for the year, and I didn't really understand how it could have happened overnight. It had power and lighting, needle rose and reset on startup, and some puzzling minor miles recorded on way back.

Was looking on blatchat and I have a programmable speedo. This should be set to around 008786 for a 13 inch tyre. Looking at mine the other night, it was set to 118786 so under reading rather dramatically!! I must have been holding the button for 3 seconds on ignition startup and it all went wrong from there whilst flicking through to trip and mileage.

Thanks all for the suggestions and to the pobc for the solution.

Matt