Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham exhaust EX73K

green george

Caterham 4-1 Exhaust SKU: EX73K list price £1074  http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=199  

I have a 2000 1.6 SuperLight, which is fitted with the EU2 K-Series engine and the SuperSport kit.  The car currently has the standard 4-1 internal collector manifold and system.

I am after an external collector exhaust and have looked at EBD (£800 fitted but needs the lambda sensor wiring extending and a suitable manifold gasket sourcing) and Powerspeed (£1200 + fitting).  I spoke with Richard at Caterham Parts today and he researched the subject (due to the various options available), and came back to me to recommend the EX73K, although he needs to confirm the current price with the manufacturer.    

Are any of you familiar with this exhaust?  Is this quiet enough for track day? I note that this is described as a race exhaust and I am not sure if race meetings have the same noise poillution levels as track days.   

• Area Representative

I've used one of those systems with a 1600 K with a 5", a 6", and a modified standard silencer with the integrated CAT.

I'm pretty sure that the noise level will not be significantly different to your standard exhaust with any of those options.

That looks like a 5" silencer in that kit. In my opinion/experience, and depending on where you go and how many revs you use, it will not be quiet enough for some days. I had that exact system with a ~150bhp 1.8 K-series, 7000rpm and the 5" silencer wouldn't pass the 101dBa static test at Bedford. However, it was an old can and probably had most of the stuffing blasted out of it over the years. I changed the silencer for the Caterham/Chesman 6" version. Straight bolt-on fit and no more issues at that spec.

The Caterham silencing material is pretty naff. I'm now using Acoustafil in a modified Caterham/Chesman 6" silencer, SLR/VHPD Caterham/Chesman system, ~200bhp, 7700/8000rpm and static is fine at around 94-97dBa at ~5000rpm, but using full revs can trip the driveby meters at Bedford.

I would go for the EBD system, a 4-2-1 layout if possible and spec the silencer to suit your needs, depending on whether you need a CAT for MOT or not. If you can, ask them to fill the biggest silencer they do with Acoustafil. It will give you a fighting chance of not getting into trouble with the noise police. Really impressed with Acoustafil, and I'm of the opinion that we should make our cars as quiet as possible so that we don't lose any more circuits. Without reducing power of course.

How come the EBD manifold needs a different gasket? The standard item is a Rover part and is commonly available. The lambda sensor is just four wires. You could make yourself a little plug-in extension loom (there was a recent thread on this) or just extend the wires using solder/butt connectors/crimps/whatever.

I changed to a second hand 4-1 and had ground clearance issues as the primaries go down a bit as they exit the body. Switched to a 4-2-1 system which goes horizontal and looks like the VHPD system on the parts website. It has a 6" silencer and never had a noise issue (1.6 supersport k series std spec).

ian

I've had all 4 of the CC supplied exhausts for K's over two different cars.  The one that's been suggested by CC will certainly do the job and shouldn't give any noise issues at most tracks, mine was always 97-98 db.

it does have some drawbacks which might or might not be an issue for you:

It doesn't have a cat or an option to fit one using standard parts.

The silencer is very low and will rub on the Tarmac in right handers unless your ride height is way too high to be of use at the track which rather defeats the object.

I swapped mine for the SLR system which solves the above issues and is a better exhaust from a performance perspective for high power K's (no gain for a standard 1600 though).  It also has a 6" silencer so should be quieter but mine was still 97-98 db.