Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electric impact driver

jackb_ms

I brought a mains one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0039BQRUO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432741622&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=impact+driver+clarke&dpPl=1&dpID=51QXNfgA-VL&ref=plSrch

Used it for servicing this year and swapping over the winter wheels on my tintop. Happy with it as it has the initial torque to undo the wheel nuts.

I don't really have the room for a compressor in the garage with all my other stuff and a good battery powered one up to undoing the nuts don't seem cheap.

I've had a Sealey one for years but it doesn't go anywhere near it's rating. Perfectly fine for the nuts on a Caterham though. If I was to buy another, the Clarke one from Machine Mart has had good reviews and will easily do wheel nuts if they've not been done up by a gorilla.

• Support Team

I had a Clarke CIR220 that did the job but eventually the batteries died. It was pretty heavy as well. A good review of wrenches here. I have just treated myself to the Dewalt one which is very good and much lighter. 

My wife got me a brilliant one for Christmas, it easily does wheel nuts and I recently used it to under the big hub nuts - which it managed! 2 batteries with it and they seem to last ages. It was certainly a handy tool to have when I completely stripped the rear of my car over the winter, made very quick work of undoing all the 19mm nuts and bolts!

I bought a Makita body only as have a few batteries already and an impact socket set to suit. Can post part numbers if interrsted. Great bit of kit for making the garage feel like an F1 pit :-)

• 2 weeks later...