Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Moving seat forward

Nillbymouth

I've got an SV with leather seats and with the seat as forward as possible my wife can only just reach the pedals. Ideally I need another 1 to 2 inches of travel. What's the easiest/neatest way? Can I somehow adjust the runners or do I need to drill 4 more holes in the floor?

Yes, I will still be okay if I move the seat forward. As for the pedal box, I didn't realise there were different settings, I'll have a look when I get home at the weekend. I could also try a cushion but it depends if she would be comfortable with that - must admit that would be the simplest solution. Thanks all. 

Look at the pedal box but I'd go the cushion route after that moving the seat would be a right pain and not sure it is that straightforward .  I did the same ruined my driving position and the car has been driven just once by my other half  !

I see your point about driving position. At the moment the seat, steering, pedal distance seems perfect for me. Moving the pedals closer may mess that up but I guess I'll only know if I try.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'll have a play with the options at the weekend and it certainly seems like I don't need to drill new holes which is a bonus.

Having been in the same situation a bit back...

Don't move the pedals unless an absolutely last resort. You'll wind up catching your knees under the steering wheel and generally being uncomfortable all the time.

Seat cushions will work, mostly - I previously made one from high density foam for MrsH. The downside is it moves the driver out of the "wings" of the seat somewhat and therefore reduces the feeling of snug security the driver would normally benefit from.

Ultimately, I drilled a new hole in the side of the seat runner to make a new, forward, catch point for the adjuster lever to drop in to. The seat now has a new stop point about 1.5" further forward. Pedals returned to the "right" place, no cushions, MrsH gets the full benefit of the seat shape, everyone's a winner.

It's a bit awkward to get the drill bit to but assuming yours are the same as mine (latching runner is the right hand one, with the holes on the left edge) and assuming your drill is no longer than mine, it's possible to do this without removing the runners from the car. Obviously easier / cleaner if you can take them out, not to mention you can be more accurate with position and size of the hole, but mine have been there 10 years and I couldn't shift the fixing bolts.

Just to update. Having looked a little closer, my seat is as far forward as it can possibly go, I guess because I've got lowered floors. In front of the seat there is a frame tube which is above the floor. Fully forward, the seat is only a couple of mm off the frame. Fully back, the seat is touching the rear bulkhead. Therefore there is no scope for adjustment either way. As mentioned previously this is a 2014 SV with leather seats.

The only 2 options are move the pedals in the pedal box or use a cushion.

I wonder if one of those back ache frame type cushions might work? Could even be covered to make a slim pad, that if need be could be stored behind the seat? The type I had in mind are those lumber support jobbers, but a quick search for those came up with this at Halfords, which doesn't look too bad... http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/car-accessories/car-seat-covers-cushions/halfords-padded-seat-cushion-back-support

I would imagine getting some memory foam shaped to suit your driver, then perhaps trimmed/covered could give you a great looking custom without looking like a stop gad cushion...?