Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XF Exhaust Allan Bolts /

virden

Will some kind soul please tell me the torque setting for the Allan bolts that attach the manifold to  a cast iron head.  Why?... cos I have blown yet another middle gasket..Thye only seem to last 1000 miles.

Thanks

Chris Wheeler of 'The Seven Workshop' supplied me similar sounding copper/"asbestos" gaskets that were perfect for many miles.  When I reused them I added some 'copper silicone sealant' which never burnt or leaked. Torqued the Allen set screws, with spring washers under the heads to - feels tight enough - tension and checked for tightness after the first few runs.

@ndrew

As stated, make sure flange is flat, use laminated type gaskets and tighten securely, but not too firmly, using just an allen key so you don't have too much leverage. The final job is to lockwire the allen screws so they can't come undone because, inevitably, the gasket will settle and loosen the screws.

If you overtighten, you will simply collapse the gasket at each end and encourage warping of the flange again.

Thanks all, the head is true and I had the flange planed, so not a gap issue. I am wondering if it is a case of the shear weight of the  4:1 and silencer which is providing a leverage to flange  forcing the bottom in an dthe top out.  It is always the top which blows, and I have tried several different types of gasket...but never double.

Don't mount any bracketry from chassis to the exhaust system, mount it back to the engine block, so the engine, exhaust, and bracket, all triangulated together move as one piece,. 

Movement  of the engine will transfer energy through the exhaust and then into the chassis / frame, which is not a good situation. 

​Nigel.